Chapter 1: Evan Campbell

Start from the beginning

"Oh trust me, we aren't going to be late," I said as we left my room, "This day is too important for Marcus."

It's going to be a very important and life changing moment in his life.

Or should I say moments in his life.

**

The ceremony was great. Marcus had three different scholarship offers and they all paid for four years of school. I was so happy for him but I couldn't be overly excited because I didn't want to reveal our relationship. We had all gotten together to take him out but after a while it became just us. Caleb and Darrius had to go finish packing to move into their apartment and Chris had to finish moving his things out of his room to Harry's. Then Lawrence and Chris's mom went back home to put Gabe to bed.

We were alone and I didn't want to stay in a crowded restaurant. I had other plans for Marcus. We paid for our meals before I took his hand and walked out the restaurant. He took his cap and gown off before we left and put it in the backseat. It was a beautiful dark night to drive around in. The sky was clear and I played some soothing Jhené Aiko over the speakers. Marcus loved these rides we had. He said that his Aunt Ruby use to do these with him, Darrius, and Chris when they had nothing to do. She would also take them to the park at night to watch the stars sometimes. That's exactly where I was taking him.

Once we pulled up to the empty park, I turned off the car. He stepped out the car as I did and I could finally admire him like I wanted to. He looked heavenly with his wild curls blowing in the wind and his dark suit clinging to his body perfectly. I quickly walked over to him and put my arms around his small frame. His hazel eyes stared up at me before I placed my forehead against his. He placed his soft hands on my face and kissed me sweetly. I returned the kiss a little bit more passionately by moving our bodies closer.

"I'm so proud of you," I whispered against his lips, "And I love you so much."

He smiled and I knew it was now or never. We were under the stars and no one was around to be nosy. However, I was nervous. The box was burning a whole in my pocket but I was so afraid to reach for it. I just wanted to hold him forever but I wanted him to be mine forever too.

I pulled back, smiling. He looked curiously at me before saying, "I didn't say stop Mr. Campbell."

I snickered and took his hand in mine. I looked back into his beautiful eyes and said, "You know I think we shouldn't be a secret anymore."

His eyes became wide in alarm before I continued, "Just hear me out okay. I think it's going to be hard to keep our relationship a secret moving forward."

He nodded in understanding and said, "Yeah it is...especially considering what I'm about to tell you."

Now I didn't know that he also had a surprise for me planned. I smiled as he did because he looked excited and I loved seeing him like that. He was smiling so brightly and from the way his hand was sweating, he was nervous. I squeezed it to reassure to him that whatever it was, I was here to listen.

Then with an awkward grin he said, "I'm going to California."

My heart had shattered against the pavement. My smile had quickly transformed to a straight line and his face changed from a smile to a worried expression. I had let go of his hand trying not to lose my cool. I cleared my throat to say, "What?"

He feared saying it again but he did, "I'm going to California. For school. I accepted the UCLA offer."

Getting it clarified only made it worse. I didn't know how to feel for him. I wanted to be happy for him but I just couldn't. He only talked about UCLA once and he never led on to him wanting to go. Plus, he was going on about how where he received his education didn't matter as long he could improve his artwork.