Chapter Nineteen: Let It Be Behind Us

All who were departing for Harlond were still preparing by the time the sun fell to reveal a sky of dark blue. Swords were being sharpened, bows were being re-strung, water containers needed filling, and a number of things were needed before they could set off. There was much left to do that there were no elves standing still except for Dartha and Legolas. As soldiers worked around the couple, the princess found herself in a conversation she did not want to have. Dartha was unable to escape, as she had her selected horse behind her and Legolas before her. "We should not go to Mirkwood", she stressed but kept her voice low. Legolas reduced the space between them and continued his argument with his voice at a whisper, "I can not justify why my father originally refused to help, he was wrong to turn your brother away, but his mind towards your kingdom will change when he sees us". The prince understood that his father would never commit himself to something that wasn't certain in commitment to Mirkwood. Should Dartha prove herself faithfully in love, Legolas believed his father would have the security he would need to invest in her kingdom and would provide the help that Harlond requests.

The princess looked weary of all he had been telling her, "If he does not change his stance, then we would have wasted time going to Mirkwood---more elves could be killed in Harlond which we might have been able to save". Legolas looked at the strain on her face before easing her into his embrace, "If he does change his stance and provide assistance, then not only would we receive the extra elves but hostility between our families would come to an end". Dartha took in a deep breath against his chest but said nothing. Her silence stirred Legolas to meet her cheek with his lips in order to ease her. Dartha still felt uncertain that Thranduil could ever change and had the prince stopped there, she would not have altered her mind to side with him. With a tight squeeze to her body the words "I love you", slipped from Legolas's mouth and caused Dartha to stiffen. In all three months that the harsh winter kept them in Rivendell, Legolas had not professed that before. They appeared frozen for a lifetime while many remained busy around them until Legolas lowered his face to touch his forehead with hers. Looking into his blue eyes caused her to close her green ones as she felt peace began to overcome her---she could trust his words and his lead. The prince watched that peace enter her as her eyelids slowly fell.

He hesitated in whether what he was about to do next was appropriate. Once his mind gave his body permission, he inched his mouth towards hers until they were pressed together. Their lips fit perfectly on contact and were reluctant to separate. "I will go with you to Mirkwood", Dartha whispered. Legolas held her closer as he sealed their agreement. Soon his kiss became loose on her lips and Dartha's skin was heightened in it's sense of touch. Her eyes remained closed as he lovingly kissed the length of her neck while his arms still held her. She felt herself melt at his hunger as he picked up speed with his mouth and caressed her body in such a way that she let out a little gasp. Unexpectedly his touch was torn from her flesh abruptly and she flung her eyes open at the sudden absence of him.  Legolas was stood about two feet away with Oneth pulling him by the hair braid. A disdain expression was worn on the elf's face, "Do not consume a second more on my sister's neck, there are horses over there that need saddling!"

Without turning around to meet Oneth's glance, Legolas walked away towards the horses. Dartha turned, unable to look at Oneth, and busied herself with the horse that had been behind her. She rubbed the animal's strong neck feverishly with her back toward's her brother, wishing him away. As he remained, she braced herself for what ever he was to say, "I know what you are thinking---you are wrong". She mounted the horse but before she could get away, Oneth pressed her further, "Tell me what it is I am thinking, if you truly know". Dartha came to a halt in her actions and bit down on her teeth. Even on the horse her back was still given to Oneth, "You do not think he deserves to love me". Her brother allowed a frown to consume him, "That is not at all what I think. He has made you happy and I know that he loves you. But I also know that Ailin loved you first".