Chapter Eighteen: Our Kingdoms

Elladan released a yelp of pain that resulted in applause from the audience. "Point," Dartha stepped back with a grin on her face. "You actually grazed me that time!" the elf held his shoulder in shock. The princess drew her sword blade to her face and saw a sliver of blood on the fine edge, "It's nothing but a scratch, stop weeping". In the snow, just off on the side watching the two spar, sat Legolas, Elrohir, and Tauriel. "Keep going, Elladan. You haven't lost yet!" Legolas shouted from where he was sitting. Elladan appeared annoyed by the bit of encouragement, "Your elleth cut me on the shoulder!" The prince of Mirkwood smiled widely, "Yes, I know. She's good!" Elladan stared back at him for a split second in disbelief before he tossed his sword down, "Then you spar with her, I'm finished". Legolas's face dropped as he refused, "You can not expect me to go up against her". The group of friends had been playing and competing since morning, enjoying what was left of the snow as the days started to grown into the beginning of spring. "Why not?" Elrohir questioned Legolas, "You are the only one who hasn't faced her yet". Legolas shrunk into himself before he attempted to form excuses, "But I---she would...we cant". Tauriel slapped him on the back in a teasing fashion before calling him out on his fear, "She will dominate you and you know it".

Legolas got up and took position before Dartha, much to everyone's amusement. He wasn't about to let everyone think that he was afraid of the princess. Dartha took her stance, smiling as if she had already won, "Same rules, first one to three touches win". Legolas went into stance with his own grin, "Let's make a wager". His grin grew to be mischievous as he stated, "If I win, you can never deny me a kiss---ever". The princess raised an eyebrow at him, "What will I receive when I win?" Their friends watched the exchange of words and fought back laughter. Legolas searched the sky for the answer, "The wisdom of a wizard, but only on the third Thursday of each month". Dartha smirked at him when he met her with a teasing expression. "Very tempting," she said, "But a ride on your father's elk will suffice". Legolas thought it over in his mind before agreeing, "My father's elk?---You understand that I now must win, I won't be going easy on you as I had planned to". The princess rolled her eyes just as their friends groaned tired of all the talk, "Alright, let's begin!"

Length stretched between them as Legolas waited for her advancement. Soon Dartha's blade was met by his with a cling. As he rubbed his sword against hers, he applied much of his weight on the blade and was about to overpower her with his stretch, but she removed herself from the stalemate before he could. In her retreat, Legolas stepped forward and forced her sword up again. They made contact with their blades seven or eight times before dancing around each other. Their faces were serious as they anticipated the next move of the other. Legolas took the initiative and feigned a lunge, which Dartha was convinced of and threw herself back. She quickly recovered in time to avoid a jab Legolas tried at her side by striking the attempt downward away from her body. The tip of his sword had made contact with the ground before he caused it to ascend against the edge of Dartha's blade. The metal on metal produced an unpleasant scraping noise, then a loud clink, as they pulled apart only to crash together again. 

The prince tossed his sword at her feet and extended his hand forward, "Trade me your sword". Dartha only held unto hers tighter, "Why? What for?" Legolas pressed his lips together to hold himself from grinning as he shook his finger at her, "There it is! Your victories must be in your sword. Let's see if you are just as good with a weapon you are not familiar with---Trade me swords!" The princess gawked at his theory before she tossed her sword to his feet with a laugh. They picked up each other's sword and took their ready stances. Legolas's sword felt foreign in Dartha's hand. It was slightly heavier than her own, the particular metal she knew of but never used herself. Still it was nonetheless an Elvin sword that she would quickly learn to utilize. "This must be how you move so quickly," Legolas picked up on the lightness of her blade, "Your sword has a small difference in weight". The princess wasn't about to allow him to discredit her ability, "You forget that I am a smaller being than you". Legolas tilted his head at that reasoning, knowing that it was true.