A Child and A Changing

7 months ago

I'm exhausted and smell like river water and body odor it's been four days since I've had a proper shower. I've started sneezing recently. It's getting harder to breathe. I think I've caught the flu or a cold from jumping in that river. On the plus side I found an updated map that shows a shortcut through a small town about four miles from my current location. If I cut through there and grab supplies not only will I have more food and water but I'll cut my time in half.

My body shakes as I sneeze.
"Jeez I might also grab a heavy blanket from a store if any are left." I sigh.

After a few hours I reach the outskirts of the town. The sign said it had a population of 500.
From here I'd estimate only about 150 zombies. I do see a few hundred zombie corpses laying around so I'm guessing people have already been through here.

I just wish they had finished these guys off. But that'd be too easy wouldn't it...
I jog across the street and hide behind an old McSherry's.
I was tempted to see if any chicken nuggets were there but I'd rather have something I can ration out for a while.
I see a MazeMart sign about a mile down the road. If I cut through the back alley and stay quiet I should be safe.. well as safe as one could be, out in the open, during a zombie apocalypse.

I carefully opened the gate and close it behind me. Lucky for me it seems like a straight shot and a left turn. There's only one zombie. A child. Her curled tangles cling to her face, a blindfold covering her eyes, and her tiny wrists tied to a pole.

It seems they didn't want to kill her. But to leave her in this condition was the cruellest of the two options. I pull out my blade and try to get close to her as quietly as I can. I am about to strike when she whispers.
"Auntie?"

Holy shite.
This girl is still alive.
That's fecked up.

I pull off the blindfold to see two big hazel eyes staring up at me from under dark messy curls. She looks Hispanic.

"Hey kid. Look I'm sorry but your Auntie left. Since I'm here I'll take care of you from now on. First I need to know your name and how old you are. Okay?" I whisper while untying her.

"My names Maria Gonzalez. I'm 12 years old. What's your name?" She says rubbing her wrist.

"Zara. Now I'm gonna need you to be helpful and stay quiet. We're gonna go into the MazeMart through the back and grab stuff from the stock room. That'll be safer than wandering the store. I'll have you keep watch. Here." I say handing her a dagger.
"If a monster comes towards you stab them in the head and dont let it bite you or you'll turn into one."

"Okay, Got it." She says gripping the dagger in her hand.

I grab her free hand and we continue to the store. When we arrive at the back entrance I lean down and start picking the lock. As soon as I feel the lock mechanism give way I pull open the door and throw an empty can of corn into it.

I hear a growl and a zombie comes running at us. I lift my sword in an arch as it slices though it's neck like butter then I pick it up by its hair and throw it down the alleyway.

"Whoa that was cool. Just like in the Zombie Slayer games. but.. a bit nastier" Maria says wrinkling her nose up.

I laugh quietly.
"Kid you're handling this ten times better than I did." I said patting her head.
"Remember, keep watch and yell if you need me."

I pull her in a bit so she wouldn't be visible to people passing by and continue into the back of the store.
I moved over to the camping equipment and pull out two rolled black sleeping bags, a fire safe pot, and more matches and lighters, I grab a huge camping backpack and fill it with food and an extra canteen.

I go to the kids section and grab a leather jacket and thick leather pants. I also pull out boots eyeballing her size. I go back to her and tell her to change. luckily the clothes fit her. The jacket is a bit big but it'll do.

I have a sneezing fit and sit down.
"we will sleep here tonight kid. grab a bag and a granola bar and try to rest." I say gritting my teeth.

She nods and walks a few feet away after eating her granola bar and lies down.

I get up and lock the door before laying against it. I feel dizzy. and slump down.

All I feel is pain. White hot pain flooding through my body. It's almost unbearable and I find myself wishing I would just die already.

My blood is boiling in my veins and I can feel the hunger and fury rising in my body.

Someone help me!
It hurts too much..
Please just let me die...
I want to die.

My eyes snap open. Gasping for breath and I open my mouth and almost scream until I smell something faint and delectable. I want to follow it but I have to check up on the girl. I get up and crawl over to Maria who's up and opening a can of soup.

"How long has it been?" I whisper in a gruff voice.

"Three days. You must have been very tired." She says laughing.

I breathe out. I look at the silver pot and my eyes widen. Instead of dark brown eyes I see golden orange ones staring back at me.

I close my eyes.
Okay.. It's not too bad. They aren't red.. and at least I'm not killing people.
In a daze I follow the sweet smell to the freezer and open it to find raw meat defrosted and dripping. I grab a pan filled with watery blood and drink it. It tastes bland but not horrible. Instantly I feel satiated and less aggressive.
Okay.. that's what I need then.
I guess I'm gonna go grab some freezer bags and fill them with watery blood.

I sigh as I pack the gross blood in a satchel. I load myself up with the bags and pick up my sword as the girl gets her dagger.

"Maria it's time to head out. We'll be living on a boat from now on. It'll be fun. I promise." I say smiling.

She nods and we head out.

I don't know if I can keep her safe forever but I can't abandon her like her Aunt did.
I'll stay in control even if I have to jump off the boat to keep her safe.