Chapter 3: Hitman Continued

*Phone rings* "Hello?"

"Carrol?"

"Yes? Who is this?"

"My name is Dr. Marron from St. Peters Hospital. I am calling due to a request from your mother. She isn't doing to well and would like to see you."

"Oh no, what's wrong?"

"Well, she came in a week ago complaining of numerous headaches that caused dizzy and fainting spells. We did an MRI and found that she has a massive brain tumor."

Carrol gasped as tears began to cloud her eyes, "Is she going to have surgery?"

"I'm afraid not. With as big as it is, there is really nothing we can do."

"Tell her I'm coming, I will be there soon. Thank you for calling."

Carrol didn't have a car due to her being in protection, but luckily she only lived a block away from a taxi service. She could have called for one to pick her up but she was to panicked to sit there and wait, she had to move. She ran the whole way there and almost busted the glass on the door shoving herself inside. "I need a cab now! Please!"  She demanded. One man stood, while everyone else remained seated staring at her like she lost her mind. Some may have even been a tad bit scared, couldn't tell for sure due to the weird look on their faces. The kind man fired up the cab and drove her to ST. Peters Hospital and dropped her off at the front door. On the ride there he asked why she was in such a rush and she explained her mother was in critical condition and she wanted to get there quick. The kind man felt a small attachment to Carrol's story as his mother passed away ten years ago for the same reason. So he covered the cab bill for her and wished her and her mother the best. She thanked the man and ran into the hospital, asked the receptionist which room Rose McCrery Was in, and rushed off to her room.

Dan stood stunned, he was full of so many different emotions he couldn't figure out which one to let show through. His wife had been alive all this time. Cheyenne placed a hand on his shoulder to show support, he was so ready to see her but so nervous at the same time. He watched his wife leap into the taxi, he tried calling her name but she didn't hear him, they followed her to the hospital and watched as she rushed inside. Now they were standing in front of the hospital waiting for him to gather himself up enough to walk inside. Suddenly, a bullet shot past Cheyenne's head narrowly missing her and shattering the front door of the hospital. She ducked and rolled behind a brick pillar drawing her gun from it's holster, pulled it upright, and peaked around the corner looking for where the bullet came from. Jim and Dan were across from her behind another pillar, Jim also having his gun drawn. A man appeared in the parking lot with his gun in hand walking towards them not at all trying to hid himself.

"It's Eric Bistone!" Cheyenne yelled across to Jim. "Who is Eric Bistone?" He asked as he turned the corner, fired his gun, and returned to position. Bullets were flying and people were scattering everywhere. They lost sight of Eric in all the commotion and took the opportunity to run inside. "How are we going to find my wife in here?" Dan asked. "I don't know why don't we worry about saving our asses first." Cheyenne yelled. They ran into a stairwell and went up, "Who does she know that might be in the hospital? Have you received any phone calls about any of her friends or family being sick?" Cheyenne asked. "No." Dan answered running short of breath. "Can we stop running please? I can't breath." Dan said between gasps of air. "Sure, hey, here is an idea! Why don't we lay down on the ground and let the bastard kill us while we're at it pal!" She said sarcastically.

They reached the third floor and rushed out of the stairwell. People were scrambling everywhere trying to get out, pushing, and shoving each other out of the way. The elevator doors came open and Eric was standing there leaning against the wall with his gun pointed at them. Jim pushed Cheyenne and Dan out of the way and narrowly escaped the bullet himself. Cheyenne quickly ran behind a desk and got behind Eric without him noticing. She quickly placed him in a headlock and put her gun against his temple. "Don't move scum bag." She whispered in his ear. Jim quickly ran to her side and took the gun from Eric placing him in handcuffs. "Looks like play time is over" Cheyenne said happily. The police arrived and took Eric to a maximum security prison where he would be watched 24/7, and Dan was reunited with his wife. They held dearly to each other while Cheyenne and Jim spoke to the police. "So how did Carrol manage to escape that day?" Jim asked couriously.

"We have had an eye on these guys for a long time, we had a few undercovers invade their group and they new that murder was going to happen before it did. The whole thing was planned by Eric, two of our undercovers were waiting for it to happen so they could bust in and take Eric down. We weren't anticipating Carrol to be apart of it but, the officers pulled up to bust him and Carrol was running toward them trying to get away. They scooped her up and took off while our back up jumped in and arrested Eric. He ended up escaping six months later." The officer explained.

"Ok, one more question. How did she go to court without her relatives knowing about it?"

"When our officers scooped her up they immediately entered her into a protection program due to the circumstances."

"How did they not know when her name we splattered all over The staten news paper?" Cheyenne asked.

"That paper isn't available to the public. It is only available to law enforcement." The officer said 

Cheyenne and Jim completed their first case together and Jim was the only one that seemed excited about it. "Well, what do you think about having a partner now?" He asked. "I still hate it and you still suck. Don't let your head get to big, it was only one damn case." She responded. "You will learn to love me, just wait and see." Jim said smiling. They entered Mr. Benson's office and slammed the case file down on his desk. "Next case please." Cheyenne said in an aggravated tone. Mr. Benson looked at her with delight. "See, it wasn't to bad working with a partner was it?"