01 | Gucci

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

THE CHAMBERLIAN GLOBAL GALA

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Location: Chamberlain Global, Wall Street, New York.

Date: August 30th, 2010.

This year, over 200 A-list guests - from Beyoncé to the famous Vilmonts of France - are expected to make their way onto the white and black double helix monochrome carpet-made up of about 50,000 white roses, 150,000 white silk roses and laser cut black lace-in the Chamberlain main lobby, where from our sources, another display of botanical genius will also reside, an eighteen foot wall of white lilies, carnations and roses. From here, guests will be led to start the evening with an exhibition by this year's break through artist, Benedict Sinclair, whose renderings of the Victorian era sold for over a million dollars just last week. Cock tails will be served on the sixth floor as the viewing continues. Dinner, by the prestigious Everest Dutournier of the École de Cuisine Everest Dutournier (and a chocolate fountain) will be at the seventeenth and final floor of Chamberlain Global, where guests through glass walls will be able to watch a stunning display of fireworks at exactly midnight. Information about entertainment for the night has not been released, as of now.

Of course in a year, socialite events of this nature fade into one another till it becomes unable to tell one from another, but then again, none of them hold a torch to the annual Chamberlain Global fundraising Gala. We will keep our fingers crossed - and probably kill for invitations - because bar any unfortunate events, this year's gala will be giving its predecessors a run for their money.

— Diana Vitoria, the New York Pager, 2010.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

His face gave nothing away as he separated the cookies and sniffed at the cream between them.

I kid you not when I say that the occupants of the kitchen had become so silent you could've sworn they were wallpaper.

The skin on Everest Dutournier's forehead wrinkled slightly as he sniffed at it again before delicately sinking his teeth into the crown. A bead of sweat rolled down my back when his face remained as stiff as a board and the smile I'd plastered on my face was starting to slip away. Already I was having visions of my culinary career ending before it even began.

I forced in a shaky breath into my lungs as he took another bite but still remained expressionless. But then, he winked and I would've thought my eyes were deceiving me if he didn't drop what was left of the macaroon on the counter to start clapping. His applause was met with stunned silence at first, but then everyone joined in until he signaled them to stop. He turned to me:

"C'est exquis; this is exquisite." His English was unaccented, and his blue eyes twinkled mischievously as his eyes moved between me and the tray of macaroons in front of me.

"Merci," I almost sagged from relief as he took another one and gingerly deposited it whole in his mouth.

"Now everyone get back to work or risk your careers."

He said sharply, turning to fix his gaze on his apprentices behind him. They skittered to their work stations and I made to move past him but he held up a finger indicating I wait. When he was done chewing the macaroon and brushing its crumbs from the sides of his mouth, he leaned forward on the steel top counter between us and straightened his shoulders.