Chapter 8.1

Carly groaned and clicked "yes" as the message on Netflix asked for the umpteenth time, "Are you still watching NCIS?"

"I don't know why you keep asking me that," she said to no one. "It's not like I haven't been laying here like a slug for the last day."

The power had come back on shortly after everyone had left, and for that Carly was extremely grateful. It was easier to wallow in self-pity when there was air conditioning and Netflix.

She'd seen every episode of the show and some more than once, but somehow the familiarity was a comfort to her. Something that was still the same in her life.

She clicked "Continue" and was greeted by sights and sounds of New Orleans instead of the usual Washington D.C. area.

"Great...Just great."

The bridge over the Mississippi loomed large for a moment, lit up for the night. Then, the popular restaurant, Muriel's stood proudly on the corner. The red building had been on Carly's bucket list forever. She wanted to dine at the haunted table, and have a drink on the balcony, preferably around Halloween.

Halloween was in three weeks. She should be planning a party for Snapper's, decorating. Contemplating her own costume.

A tear dripped down her cheek. Joey had sent her pictures of the destroyed Snapper's earlier and it had been her undoing. Seeing all she had worked for in ruins had brought her to her knees. She was sorry she had even asked him to send the images. She hadn't even responded to him, unable to form the words to reply.

She'd been in bed since, laid there for so long her body had begun to hurt almost as much as her heart did.

On the TV, a scene from Cafe' du Monde had her wishing for beignets and cafe au' lait. The sweetness of the powdered sugar of the doughnuts, the sun, and the energy of the French Quarter would be a comfort right about now.

Her stomach growled and she looked at the time on her phone, once again ignoring the texts from Joey, Ryder, and her brother.

"Thank God for delivery."

If she were in Bon Chance, Joey would cook something for her, if only to make her feel better. Or Glinda would whip up one of her favorites. But she wasn't in Bon Chance anymore. And there was no one to take care of Carly, except for herself.

"Sammy," she said to the dog snoozing at her feet. "I don't think we're in Bon Chance anymore."