Orchid

They came to an accord. A needless one, truly, but an accord all the same. Kennyo had already decided not to interfere with her nightly creations before she stated that was one of her terms as well as agreeing to the same herself. She would craft the environments but would not alter them once he arrived to the Dreamscape.

It was odd having an agreement without the bindings of a formal contract but, for her, he was not opposed to it. And did they not bargain something for greater than the usual price? Something more valuable than a soul upon collection time?

They exchanged names.

Names had power over an entity for all time and--when given to those who knew what to do with them-- even soulless demons like himself could be subdued with the right incantation. An exchange of names, however, created an invisible bond that could grow under nourishment or fade to null with neglect. Such bonds were popular among witch covens and allowed them to share a collective power source that grew with each new member. But a demon agreeing to such a thing?

Unheard of… but he proved it possible.

The bonding, for him, meant greater depth to the fleeting twinges of emotion he'd experienced since meeting her. Some warmed and swelled within him while others chilled and sought to bring him to his knees. As foreign as they were, he came to terms quickly with the new found sensations and he wondered if this was that ‘light’ she originally saw mixed within him. Demons shouldn't have these. Demons shouldn't have light.

Yet, for the first time in centuries, he could feel. Not just understand the internal driving forces of the mortals, but had them of his own. Joy at the new lives that were born to her village. Sympathy for the sick she treated. Sorrow at the passing of those she couldn't.

All of which he continued to observe while hidden behind the veil.

Kennyo knew she needed time to adjust to the situation just as he did. Along with the appearance of their own novelties, there was the phenomenon of the shared connection between them. A sharing of emotions. A linking of minds. Sometimes, images flashed across his eyes that should have belonged to her. Showing himself on the mortal plane would only add undue stress. He’d always been an oddly patient demon, he could wait a while longer.

Aside from the shared connection with him, the bonding honed and sharpened her empathic abilities. The townspeople’s internal musings seemed to turn visible for her like an open book. With a single touch, she knew immediately what ailment needed tending. She could locate his presence in the veil easily throughout the day and usually waited at the portal entrance of her dreamsphere each night.

“Kennyo,” she sang his name merrily as he stepped onto a fisherman’s pier nestled along a mountain lake. It was a morning scene with the first rays of a new dawn ghosting through the opaque mists wafting off the water's surface. In much the same way his name on her voice pierced through the tangled mess his insides became at the sight of her.

“My Lady,” he wrapped his arms around her as she leaned into him, resting the back of her head on his shoulder and smirked up at him.

“You disappeared for a time today. Did Mrs. Johnson’s child birthing unsettle you that much?”

“Not at all,” he chuckled under her ear as he thought on his next words. “I was called away for… business.”

A sudden chill flashed across his conscious from hers. “Is everything alright?”

“Never better.” He grinned against her neck and allowed her to feel the Pride that had swelled within him at the first successful contract against her former brother. Pride was a warm emotion, it would melt away the ice caused by Fear.