XVII

017.| 'Two-faced' |

They say Rome wasn't built in a day, and yet, what a difference a day makes.

-Gossip Girl

My finger tapped the mouse pad on the laptop, my essay has been submitted. I closed the laptop and sat it aside on the new sofa I had just purchased.

An apartment was for rent down near Brooklyn. I had money saved up form the past years and every paycheck is being spent wisely. I'm adjusting, I'll be ok.

My fridge is empty and the neighbors are rowdy but I'll be fine.

At least I hope so.

The chiming of my phone ringed in my ears. I pushed myself off of the sofa and took the phone from the kitchen counter.

Ezra was calling.

He calls and I ignore, he texts and I all I say is that I'm fine. My mother texted me last week, she was concerned but I gave her the response I gave Ezra. For my father, not a word.

It's my day off from work and I intend to spend it with Nate. The guy who brings a smile to my face.

I hailed a cab to The Empire, the elevator took me up to the Bass suite. I crossed my fingers that Chuck wouldn't be home and I was lucky.

Nate was sitting at the bar, his head lowered as he went through his phone. My sandals made no noise as I approached him quietly.

I placed my hands over his eyes and said "Screen time will kill your brain cells."

Nate turned around the chair and removed my hands from his eyes, revealing his ardent blue eyes and heartening smile.

"Looking at you resurrects them." Nate said endearingly.

I smiled at him and wrapped my arms around his neck "You have a way with words." I said.

"Let me show what else I can do." He said, smugly as he pulled me into him.

My lips pressed against his softly, sending a wave of bliss through me. Our lips moved with each other's, fitting perfectly with each move. He pulled me even closer, his hands moving down my back slowly.

"I don't remember ordering porn."

I jolted back at the voice, my eyes landing on Chuck who approached us with a smirk. Of course, he was going to show up.

Nate sighed annoyed that Chuck disrupted us.

"You should've left a sock on the door." Chuck said nonchalantly perceiving our expressions. 

"There is no door." Nate stated

"Should've taken it to the bedroom then." Chuck remarked and I rolled my eyes.

"Anyway, I'm glad you're here." Chuck added.

"I'm busy." Nate said flatly 

"Not you." Chuck replied as his and Nate's eyes diverted to me.

Chuck raised his eyebrow at me and I knew he had a plan for me. I despised that I couldn't decline.

"Rain check." I said to Nate with a soft smile.

Nate's expression dropped "What? Where are you guys going?" He questioned Chuck and I as we departed from Nate.

"Business, Archibald." Chuck said simply

"I'll call you later." I said to Nate before I turned the corner and Nate was out view.

In the elevator, I turned to Chuck with a scowl "What now?" I asked bluntly