ll

002.|Old Flames Never Die|

I slept peacefully and soundly like a newborn, despite sleeping in Ezra's room. My bedroom has indeed been remodeled into an office, the pale blue paint has been covered by a dark grey. Everything that was once mine has been erased, from the room that is.

I woke up an hour earlier to make breakfast for the family. My generous act was ruined before I entered the kitchen. There stood my parents, dressed for work and making coffee.

"Why are you guys up so early?" I ask the pair as I lean against the kitchen island.

"We've always woken up this early. Our schedules were changed so this is our mornings now." Mom responds as she tightens the lid on her coffee cup.

I should have known that.

"Ready to go sweetheart?" Dad asks mom as he grabs a muffin from the cake stand.

"Yes." She responds.

Both of them grab their bags and coffee cups, they both pause near my side. Each planting a quick kiss on my cheek before the exit the kitchen.

"I'll call you for lunch." Dad shouts

"Sure thing!" I shout in response.

I lower myself into a stool and let out a puff of air from my cheeks.

0o0

I lock the front door by pressing the asterisk symbol on the keypad. The new security system locks the door itself.

Ezra pulls up into the driveway, he looks rather sophisticated in his convertible and he knows it.

"Hop on in, sis." He says with a sideways grin.

I toss my bag into the back seat and hop into the passenger seat.

Ezra enters the busy streets of Manhattan, the wind blows through my hair like a movie scene.

My phone rings from my lap as we come to a red light, I pick it up to see a phone call. The contact name displaying 'Mr. Grey'.

"Gonna answer that?" Ezra asks as he pulls down his shades to the tip of his nose and he glances at my phone.

"I'll call back later." I respond with a smirk.

"Did you pick up a British boyfriend who plays in a boy band?" Ezra asks with a smirk playing on his lips.

"No." I chuckle "He's not my boyfriend." I add, which is true.

"That's what you said with Carter Baizen." Ezra says as he pushes his sunglasses back up to the bridge of his nose.

"He wasn't!" I proclaim. Carter Baizen and I had a fling but that's just it.

"Sure." He huffs with a laugh as he presses on the gas pedal to move forward as the light turns green.

Ezra dropped me off at a street corner as he went searching for a parking spot.

He told me not wait up for him as he may be a while. I stride down the sidewalk, the sun quickly warming up my skin. I wouldn't have guessed that autumn was right around the corner.