VI

006.| Apologies |

They say waking up is hard to do, especially when you're not alone

They say waking up is hard to do, especially when you're not alone. They say that life is full of surprises, that our dreams really can come true. But then again... so can our nightmares.

-Gossip Girl

Community service and volunteer service does not go without notice on a resume or transcript. Extra curricular activities will make a candidate more striking and considerable .

Columbia is a prestigious and Ivy League University but competition is an establishment in this world. I'm going to need more than just attendance at Columbia to achieve my goals and career plan.

"Rookie, You've got files here that need to be taken to the D.A." Flanders, the prison guard/ receptionist, shouts from across the office.

Volunteering at a prison is solicitous and also a last resort.

"The D.A office is all the way across town." I say as I approach Flanders desk.

"Which is why you should get started." He says followed by an unpleasant sound of cackling.

I grab the folders off of his desk and head towards the exit, grabbing my bag from my desk on the way out.

I slip the manila folders into my bag as I exit the building. The sun shines lowly and the cool autumn breeze sends chills down my body.

I pull my cardigan sleeves down my hands, concealing them then hugging my body to keep warm.

Entering the parking lot, I pull out my father's car keys that he had lend me. The keys to his Cadillac Escalade because he won't let me drive his Porsche.

Walking my way, with his head down, hair a mess, and hands tucked inside his pockets; Nate slowly walks out of the parking lot.

My mind wanders why the Golden Boy would be at a prison.

"Did your dealer get convicted?" I ask loud enough to hear.

His head snaps up and his eyes meet mine before rolling his eyes to another direction.

"I've been clean for weeks." He says

"Then what's the golden boy doing at the prison?" I ask inquisitively

"What's the golden girl doing at the prison?" He asks