escape

A/N this chapter and the next one are full of important details so just stick with me. I promise, it gets better

After we got to the parking lot, he turned around and held my shoulder “son, you have become one of us now” he smiled again and got in his car. May be it was just my eyes but this smile seemed different that the earlier one. It was a sincerer and humanly smile. I got in the front seat and we drove for hours without a word spoken and just the radio blasting old songs.
My hands started shaking when I realized that I was a murderer now. “you’ll soon start getting offers. Are you ready for this change?” when he said that, I thought he lost his mind. “you’re asking me if I’m ready?” I scoffed “4 years in a place with no discussions are allowed, my only chance to get out and you ask me if I am ready?” I looked at him in disbelief. He turned the car around and stopped at the sandy roadside. “if you really think they will let you free after training you this much, you might not be as bright as I thought you were?” does he think I am that dumb “that is what I am working on and if you think that I will just be out in the world taking all their orders and being their human puppet then you are wrong. I am just looking for a push” I said the last sentence silent. It was said more for myself than him. “what are you doing now then? If you don’t want to go back, then get off” he opened the door for me and put a backpack on my lap. I was still trying to process everything that happened. “are you serious?” I asked. I didn’t know if he was kidding or not. “go and I’ll come up with something to tell them” he said as I slowly got out of the passenger’s seat. All I could see were trees, some cars now and then and the beautiful sunset. “I don’t even know where to go. Captain, why are you doing this?” he turned his gaze away from me “I brought you here and I am letting you go back. 4 years ago, I took you b/c you had nowhere to go. You didn’t even go to school. Don’t worry about not knowing where to go. Someone will call you, follow the instructions and you will do just fine” “captain, I don’t know what to say” I also didn’t know what to think but I kept that one for myself. Without any other word, he got in the car and took off leaving me in the middle of nowhere. How can I tell if he gave me his hand or his back? I unzipped the bag he gave me when I heard a phone ring inside “hello” I said “your first mission starts now Use the map and go to the address written above it” when I searched the bag, I found the written address as said and started the journey that felt like it was going to take forever. After walking for hours, my foot couldn’t take it anymore. I tripped over my own foot and fell on my knees. I fell again when I tried getting back on my foot. “make it fast, make it past, move on. Make it fast, make it past, move on. Make it fast, make it past, move on. MAKE IT FAST, MAKE IT PAST, MOVE ON” I yelled those words knowing that I would gain strength from them. I picked up my bad and carried my worn-out body ahead. My face lit up when I saw a motel far ahead. I run inside with the last bit of my energy “sir, can you let me stay the night? Please, I don’t have a place to go” I pleaded “go away. This is a motel not an orphanage” “sir please I have nowhere else” my throat was sore. My voice was cracking. I didn’t want to beg anymore. I walked out and went out to the corridor of the rooms. As soon as I saw a woman with a purse walking in, I grabbed my bag and barged into the room. She screamed and walked back “hand your purse over” I tried to yell but my voice came out hoarse. With four years of hard core training and a hoody covering my face, I’m pretty sure she saw me as a runaway criminal thirsty for blood “please spare my life” her mascara slid down her face along with a drop of tears as she handed me her purse. I took the valuables and some cash and walked out the same way I got in.
After picking a car that won’t drag too much attention but is in a condition well enough to get me to the city, I pulled my tiny bag from my belt. We were forced to be well equipped back in the camp. Well that came in handy. Not much later; I was in the road with a gun, cash, and a car I stole. It was my first time in four years feeling the fresh air brushing against my skin. Not one have I thought I would be able to set a foot out of that death camp so I had not time to look back. I just went on with what fate had brought me.