Chapter Three: Taylor

En başından başla

Five? Five, my left butt cheek. “Are you kidding?” I said. “I’ll be ready by four!”

“Of course you will.” She pulled into her parking spot, the one that was right by the entrance to our apartment building, and turned off the ignition.

We hastily made our way upstairs. I was hoping we’d run into one of the hot twins, but no such luck. At least I had Paramore to look forward to.

“I’m going to go take a shower,” Emma said once we’d made it to our apartment and walked inside. Jack had gone in before us and was already in the kitchen. No surprise there. She glanced around, her eyebrows furrowing. “Where did Jack go?”

I wordlessly pointed to the kitchen.

“He’s going to try to eat my chocolates again, isn’t he?”

I didn’t say anything, leading her to saunter off into the kitchen. Honestly, if Jack hadn’t tried it, I probably would have. Emma’s dad had brought those chocolates back from Europe, and I swear, those chocolates were made by angels—further proof that Emma’s dad was basically Jesus. Emma refused to share, but keeping chocolates like that to yourself was an injustice. (Unless the roles were switched and the chocolates were mine in the first place. Then I definitely wouldn’t share. Screw charity.)

I let her do her thing—which was basically arguing with Jack—and went off into my room to get ready. I’d already taken a shower that morning, so I had plenty of time to dedicate to what was truly important here: my outfit.

Unfortunately, my search didn’t go well. Out of all of the articles of clothing in my closet, there was nothing I wanted to wear. Absolutely nothing. The more I looked, the more frustrated I got. It didn’t help that I’d made a ginormous mess for no reason.

I groaned and resorted to calling for Emma. My frustrated squeaks were leading me nowhere. Time to bring out the big guns. “Emmy! Come here. I need your help!”

Silence. Oh, so she thought she could ignore me, huh? We’d see about that.

“Emma!”

Silence. I was met with more silence.

“Emmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmaaaaaaa!”

Nothing. My voice had to be getting on her nerves by then. I had to be getting close to cracking her.

“Emmy!” I groaned. “Come on, Em, I need your help! Please!”

The sound of loud, trudging footsteps could be heard outside my door, leading me to smile smugly. Success. Emma walked into the room, fixing her towel so it wouldn’t fall off. “Yes?”

“I have nothing to wear,” I said. “I have nothing. Absolutely nothing!”

Emma walked past me, heading towards my closet. She looked through my wardrobe with a focus that actually surprised me. She took her fashion more seriously than even I had realized.

She pulled out a dress I’d worn to a banquet once and now hated. Noel had gone with me to that banquet. Anything that reminded me of Noel needed to be burned, not worn to a concert. “Absolutely not.”

“Okay… how about this one?”

Another dress that reminded me of Noel. “No way.”

She rolled her eyes. “How about this top?”

Noel had bought that shirt for me when we went to the mall one day. Wow, I needed to burn my entire wardrobe. “No. Definitely not.”

The rest of the dresses and tops Emma pulled out didn’t remind me of Noel. That wasn’t the reason I dismissed them. They were just ugly. What had I been thinking when I’d bought those? I couldn’t wear those out in public.