Shikamaru chooses Team 7 (and everything goes downhill after that)

Începe de la început

A negligible trace of paternal instinct demanded so.

"Sakura's a medic, I don't know in what state..." he let the phrase float. "Naruto can track her with his Sennin mode."

The Rokudaime answered him a "hmmm" way too long.

Some minutes later, both Dai-nana-han members arrived at the office.

Naruto was dressed like he had smelt the mission, Shikamaru and Kakashi could bet his weapons pouch had just been restocked.

Sakura seemed to have left the hospital in a hurry, her white coat impeccable on her shoulders, contrasting with the black bags under her eyes.

The Nara deduced her insomnia had little to do with hospital shifts, and Naruto's restlessness was the last confirmation.

Good. They already know, he thought coldly.

"Naruto, Sakura-chan, you are temporarily suspended from your duties inside the village to assist Shikamaru in an A rank mission, probably S. What I'm saying next is classified," steel orbs fixed on his two students.

"Hai," they both responded.

After having reviewed the details, the last known location, the scarce characteristics of Ino's original mission, they reunited eight minutes later at the Konoha gates.

Covering the meters, they sunk into a heavy, unexpected silence (considering Naruto was accompanying them), stomping strong their soles against the trees to advance.

After thirteen hours running, they stopped to plan a strategy and nourish with military rations.

"It was an ultra confidential assignment, only the Rokudaime, the Elders Council and Ibiki must know the exact details," the Nara took a puff of his cigarette, trying not to think about the lack of air it would cause when they resumed their race.

"If she went personally, it was crucial to get that intel," the medic completed, sipping the insipid, nutritious mush from a straw.

"I can't believe Kakashi let her go, 'ttebayo," the Jinchūriki had his arms crossed.

I can't believe I let her go, the strategist thought bitterly.

-o-

It was midnight when they halted again, several kilometers separated them from Konoha, Moon dimly lit the landscape.

Everyone tried to ignore how close they were to Otogakure.

"This is her last registered location," the tobacco ember lit his face and the map with a particularly intense orange.

"Is Orochimaru involved?" The Haruno pronounced his name like a blasphemy.

"I don't know," he answered, sullen, biting the cigarette's filter absently.

"Guys," warned Naruto.

Six ninjas approached the three of them, killing intent sparkled in their eyes; very analogous to the edge of their weapons.

"Mendokusai."

-o-

Shikamaru spit aside, his saliva became too viscous with blood. He stained his chin when doing so.

His tongue touched the large cut inside his cheek, there where a kick burst the skin against his own teeth.

To his relief, no tooth got loosened.

He waited as Sakura finished suturing a slash on his forearm, his eyes observed attentively the trickle of blood sliding from her split eyebrow, trailing down until it dripped from her jawline.