Something Bad

The rest of the day went by like a blur.
Fitzsimmons finished their tests, accompanied by their usual astonished scientific rambling.

Soon enough, I was settling in the barracks with Peter.

I put my bag of things on an empty bunk, and he sat down on the one next to me with a sigh.

"So, we never got to catch up," he said. I glanced over my shoulder at him.

"There's not much to say," I replied. "I've just been...going on with my life I guess. Mostly i've just tried to forget. But it isn't easy when it seems like the rest of the world is on fire."

He nodded. "Well, you're not wrong. At this point I'm just hoping no more aliens attack New York, or whatever," he said laughing a little.

I smiled. "Have you ever wondered about it though? About the aliens and the galaxy, what's all out there, and where we came from?".

He stood up and walked over beside me. "I mean yeah, of course, but the whole thing is just mind boggling, really. I mean, any second you could be taken and be brainwashed. Aliens could come from the sky and the Avengers could drop another city to the ground.". He sat down at the end of my bunk.  "I don't really think anyone has all of the answers. We just have to protect our own, and do what we can, when we can."

He's right. None of us really know. I wish I did.

I sat down beside him, staring at our feet. I thought back to what Fitz showed us, about my brain activity when I was close to an Inhuman. I thought about my dream, with the Kree. How I wasn't one of them, but I had a part to play. Me, with my regular life, had some part to play in this big shitshow of a game we're stuck in.

"What do you think is in there?," I finally said. "In the hydra base?"

Peter shrugged. "I don't know. Weapons, intelligence maybe. And then there's that stuff about people being transported."

You didn't help us. He called for you, and you didn't come. The voice of the little girl from my dream rung through my head.

I choked a little, gritting my teeth and closing my eyes. Be quiet, I thought.

"No," I said, looking up at Peter. "I think it's something much worse."

~•~

Most of that night is spent sitting up on my bed, my knees hugging my chest, staring off into the darkness of the room.

I was afraid to sleep.

I was afraid I'd see that little girl again. I was afraid I would see someone I care about getting hurt again. I was afraid.

I fidgeted. I'm so confused. What does it mean. What does anything mean? What can I really do? What am I supposed to do? What can Peter do? Why do I dream? Why does Skye have a new name? Why does Fitz act like someone is holding him at gunpoint?  What happened to them?

Why am I here?

I was broken from my thoughts by a sound. I looked up. I saw Peter in his bed across from me, fast asleep under a navy blanket. His head moved. "No," he mumbled.

I slid off my bed and stood on the floor. "Peter?", I whispered.

He didn't respond. His body twitched again. He mumbled something again that I couldn't understand.