Chapter 1

The Cottage in England

Knock. Knock. Knock.
Kit was woken by someone knocking on his door. He sat up slowly, being careful not to make himself dizzy. Kit looked around at the not quite yet familiar room. Maroon walls, black carpet, a queen sized bed, a desk, a wardrobe, a famous mundane painting, a window, a circular light on the ceiling, and nothing more. The air smelled of coffee. He rubbed at his blurry eyes and said "I'll be there in a moment!" Kit put on a black short-sleeve shirt and faded grey jeans and opened his door. Tessa was standing near his door, and smiled at him, making her face seem to light up. "Good morning, Christo— Kit." She said. "Morning." He replied, still tired. Tessa and Jem's cottage was a really nice place, honestly. There were three bedrooms, two bathrooms, two main rooms, one kitchen, and an entertainment room. Most of the walls were beige, but there was the occasional blue or red wall. Kit couldn't lie, he missed Julian... and his cooking. And Emma. And Cristina. And Mark. And Dru. Tavvy. Diana. Ty. And Livvy, said a small voice in the back of his head. But all Kit could do was miss Ty. They had gotten so close... well, he thought they had, just for him to find out Ty never cared for him. Kit had told Ty he loved him. He wasn't sure if he loved Ty or not, loved him as a friend, maybe. Kit couldn't even imagine being attracted to Ty. The thought made him disgusted. He wasn't gay. Neither of them were.. at least, he thought. There were so many things Kit didn't know about Ty. His mysterious, grey, stormy eyes didn't express much emotion, and the most vulnerable Kit had ever seen him was... the night everything happened. There's nothing if you aren't there, Ty had said. It had been liking jumping into an endless void of despair. No. This was Kit's new life. No Blackthorns, no faeries, no Carstairs or Rosales. He was a Herondale. He couldn't let his past life mess with this one. Kit jumped when he heard Jem's voice, because he had been too deeply in thought. "Good morning! Coffee? Sausage? We also have pancakes."
Pancakes. Kit's heart ached. "I'll have a cup of coffee and pancakes, please." Kit said. This whole shadowhunter thing will still so new to him. He hadn't even been part of the shadow world for more than two months. Jem was a former silent brother, which Kit understood nothing of. Emma had told him that shadowhunters who became a Silent Brother could never go back. Kit looked closely at Jem. He was tall, with brown eyes and a bow-shaped mouth. His hair was messy and dark brown, and he was fairly skinny. Jem placed a plate of stacked pancakes and a cup of coffee in front of Kit.  "Gratias." Kit said, knowing perfectly well that Jem could understand Latin. "Tu nimium grata." Jem responded. Kit picked up his fork and started his attempt to cut through all six pancakes at once. You can do it, Kit. You're a Herondale. Beautiful and Bold. Kit made a mental note to make reminders on his phone later. His fork ended up not cutting through the pancakes, but hitting the floor with the loud noise of metal against wood. "Oops." Kit muttered, bending sideways out of his chair to pick up his fork. Jem and Tessa sat at the opposite side of the table, right next to each other. Kit got back to work at cutting his pancakes.
Once Kit finally got them cut up, he ate a piece. They were delicious. The coffee was also much better than it was at the LA Institute. Kit placed his cup and plate in the sink and headed to his temporary room. He picked up his phone and pressed on the power button. 37 missed calls from Carstairs and another incoming call from Carstairs. Kit sighed and answered the phone. "Hello?" He said. "Hi, Kit." Said a voice, a feminine voice that definitely wasn't Emma's. "Dru?!" Kit exclaimed. "Yeah. We all miss you. Especially poor Ty-Ty. You forgot your book here."
That's what I'm forgetting, Kit thought before registering the first part of what Dru said. We all miss you. Especially poor Ty-Ty. Ty. A single tear slipped down Kit's face before he callously wiped it away. Dru cleared her throat. "Hello? Kit? Are you still there?"
"I'm still here, yes. I miss you, too. I have to do important things right now, so I might not be able to see you guys for a while. How is everything?" Kit said, lying for the benefit of himself.
"We're doing good. Ty hasn't been happy ever since you left. He's not eating. Or reading. Emma and Julian are happy as ever, minus the fact that you're gone. Kieran, Mark and Cristina are gone, but Mark and Cristina occasionally come back for weeks at a time. Tavs misses you. Ragnor pities you. When can you come back?" Dru said, with Kit hardly being able to understand what she was saying. Ty wasn't eating. Kit sighed. Dru would never give up on him. Ever. I'll just tell her. "Something happened at Lake Lynn between me and Ty. I might not ever come back." Kit articulated. "You can talk to him." Dru said, and then there was a mix of static and wind-like sounds, then a voice. One he missed so much that it hurt. "H-hello?" Ty nervously said. "Hold on, Ty. Tessa just called for me, she says I have to train with Jem this afternoon. Call me back later, please." Kit lied. "But, Kit.." Ty started, before sighing and hanging up. The training with Jem part was true, but it wasn't for another long three hours. Kit hated himself for doing that to Ty. He couldn't talk to him, though. It would hurt too much. Kit dropped his phone onto his bedside table and hit his head against his window several times. Idiot. Idiot. Idiot. Idiot. Idiot. Idiot. I. D. I. O. T. Eventually, Kit got a headache from constantly doing that, and just fell into his soft, cotton bed. He let the tears of frustration mixed with sadness slip down his face. Kit sat up and reached for a piece of paper and a pencil. He practically slammed the graphite of the pencil down on the paper, and hastily started writing a series of letters to different people. Dear, Hypatia Vex. Dear, Magnus Bane. Dear, Kieran Kingson. Dear, Alec Lightwood. Dear, Ragnor Fell. And finally, Dear, Tiberius Blackthorn.