->Chapter 1<-

Unusually, Lexa was up early. The sun was brightly shining into her bedroom, making it hard for her to get anymore shut-eye. However, today wasn't a day for rest.

Four years ago, Oscar left for high school. His visits to Paris were rare, and Lexa deeply missed him, even if Oscar might not have felt the same. Coincidently, today was Lexa's 18th birthday, and recently-graduated Oscar was finally coming home. 

For Lexa, birthdays never meant much, but this year she felt as though something will be different. Perhaps it was the fact that she wasn't celebrating it alone, after Oscar left Lexa had nobody to spend her days with. Making friends proved harder than she initially thought. Contacting her family wasn't an option for Lexa, they worked over seas in the US, she rarely got to see them. In all honesty, she didn't know whether or not they even remembered her birthday. 

Her small apartment was a mess, after moving out and pursing her dream of journalism, keeping track of neatness was difficult. The other day, Oscar wrote to her, explaining how he'd be coming over soon, but he also mentioned a detail Lexa found interesting. To refresh her memory, she decided to glance over the letter again.

Dear Lexa,

After receiving 6 of your postcards, I can deduce you're more than well. I'll be coming over on August 5th, the day of your birthday. 

I graduated with honours, and I could go on explaining my experiences which I know you'd want to hear, I should wait until I see you in person.

Another thing, I've been researching something peculiar recently, perhaps you've heard of it, I'll explain it in depth when I see you.

See you soon,

Oscar.

This letter left Lexa intriguied, she never thought Oscar could show any interest in any subject except his classes. 

                                                                                                      **

"Merci!" Lexa gave the baker a delightful smile, she was waiting at the bus station where Oscar promised to meet her. The platform was surrounded by multiple treats, ranging from bakeries to sweet confection stores. In particular, Lexa liked this one baker, Jacque's Boulangerie. From what she recalled, Oscar enjoyed this place too, even though it was hard to tell. Oscar never cracked a smile, or laughed. He was still, emotionless and brilliant. Whenever Lexa tried to analyze why she enjoyed Oscar's company so much, she could never figure it out. He wasn't someone with whom you could go to the movies, or visit a restaurant, for the simple reason he wouldn't seem to care. But his discoveries and scientific explanations never failed to bore Lexa.

Suddenly, a long train loomed into her sight, anxiously she rose to her feet and came a bit closer. The train swished dust into the air, covering Lexa head to toe with a warm breeze. The train abruptly stopped and the doors slid open, a swarm of people tripping out. Pushing past the crowds, Lexa slipped through searching for her friend. She had the idea to send him a text, perhaps meet outside the station, but that thought was quickly erased when she noticed him. Average height, messy short brown hair, hazel-green eyes and a pale skin tone. 

"Oscar! Ici!" Lexa waved erratically at her friend, he frantically glanced around before making eye contact with her. Noticing Lexa was more or less hard, her clothes matched well with her surroundings and her short height didn't help, but after knowing Lexa for years, it wasn't a struggle for Oscar. After bumping into multiple people, the two friends finally met up. 

"Oscar! I missed you so much!" Lexa leaped onto him, wrapping her arms around his neck. Oscar unsurely patted Lexa's back in return. 

"Hey Lexa," Oscar humbly returned Lexa's greeting, "Finally back in Paris."

"For sure!" Lexa agreed as the two walked away from the crowds of people hoarding around the station.

"How have you been?" asked Lexa, "You mentioned something about wanting to talk to me about something." 

"Ah yes," Oscar recalled, "It's a trial... Made by Connextion-"

Oscar was cut off by Lexa, she knew exactly what this trial was. Practically living in the know as a journalist, these kinds of things never zoomed past her.

"You mean... The emotion-donation trial? The one where you can receive emotions from those who donate theirs?" Lexa asked in deeper detail, she had to be sure she that her ears weren't lying.

"Oui! Precisely." Oscar confirmed, he brushed off the specks of dust from his shirt and looked down at Lexa, he noticed symptoms of fear on her face,

"Something wrong?" he questioned.

"Oscar... How about we tall about this at home?" Lexa reponded softly, her eyes sparked with anxiety.