"I can't – I can't breathe," the vampire stuttered breathlessly as he tried to cling to any oxygen he could.

   Thea and Elena both watched in a panic as Elijah fell to the floor, landing on his hands and knees as he looked up at them helplessly.

   "What's happening to me?" Elijah gasped as he got up once again, speeding towards the door only to slam into the doorway. Thea frowned worriedly, rushing over to the original to help him stand as he clutched onto her shoulders desperately.

   "I can't- I can't be in this house," the original stuttered through pants as he felt his airways begin to close, clutching onto Thea desperately as he began to lose balance.

   The Lockwood teen shifted her gaze towards Elena worriedly, confused as to what was wrong with Elijah.

   The doppelganger gasped in realisation as her eyes widened, "you haven't been invited in," Elena revealed. Elijah breathed in shakily as he looked directly at Thea, "get me out of here," the vampire muttered pleadingly.

   Before Thea even had the chance to help, Elijah sped out of the cellar, crashing straight into the walls as he went causing both Thea and Elena to wince.

   If the Salvatore's woke up, the brunettes were certain they'd be the next ones locked up in the basement.

   When Elena and Thea finally caught up to him, Elijah was crouched down on the porch just outside the front door. His clothes were tattered and burnt; thanks to Damon's clever attempt at trying to cook him with a flame thrower.

   Noticing the brunettes had joined him, Elijah glared, breathing heavily as he stood to his feet; attempting to lunge for the two friends only to be stopped by the barrier on the door.

   "What happened?" the original asked coldly, his narrowed gaze set firmly on Elena.

   Thea winced, shushing the vampire as Elena pointed upstairs before pointing to her ears; reminding him that Damon and Stefan were upstairs.

   "We'll tell you," Thea assured the original, her voice barely above a whisper as she communicated with him, "not here."

   "Can we trust you?" Elena asked quietly, raising a brow at the vampire causing Elijah to look at her in disbelief. "Can I trust you?" the original whispered back in an icy tone that caused Elena to flinch guiltily.

   With a roll of her eyes, Thea pulled out the silver dagger from her back pocket, handing it to Elijah as a peace offering. Elena watched the exchange with a nervous expression, still hesitant to trust the vampire she had betrayed.

   Elijah raised his brow, looking from the dagger to Thea who remained perfectly unnerved; not feeling any sense of danger within the vampire's presence.

   With a ghost of a smile, Elijah took the dagger from Thea's outstretched hand, offering the two friends a nod.

Elena drove her car down the road towards the Lockwood Mansion, Elijah in the passenger seat draining his third blood bag whilst Thea was sat in the back.

   "You look better," Thea commented as she poked her head between the front seats, noticing the colour had returned to Elijah's complexion.

   Elijah offered the teen a raised brow, smirking in amusement at her before directing his attention towards Elena. "Where did you get the dagger?" the original asked, his tone somewhat demanding as he narrowed his eyes at the doppelganger.

   "I'll tell you everything," Elena assured the vampire with a soft sigh, "but we have to work together, Elijah." Elena quickly flickered her gaze towards the original, being mindful of the road, "I need your word," the brunette stated firmly.