Chapter 5: Worthy

It seemed like every head at the table snapped towards Beth. None of them looking very happy. She was the one that had gotten in their way of eternal glory for their family. And she was only a third year. 

Beth stood up from her seat and walked to the front with numb legs. She could not register one face she passed, or even the sounds she heard. She had been chosen. She was worthy. The fake Slytherin.

"Four champions stand before me." Dumbledore said, smiling towards each of them. "Four bright wizards and witches, each with talents and dreams." he paused, looking directly at Beth. "But, only one can win."

"The first task will be on Halloween." he continued. "Tonight, six clues will be hidden in the castle. Without at least one, you cannot hope to win the first challenge. Should any of the students, not the champions, find it, then you are allowed to share the clue with your favourite champion." 

He wished them a good nights rest, and returned to the teachers table. It seemed like it only took a few seconds for James Potter, closely followed by Peter Pettigrew and Remus Lupin to stand next to Sirius, hugging him and cheering.

"Knew you'd be the one." James said, hitting his friend on the back. Sirius himself seemed rather quiet, much like the other champions. They were all still very much in shock that they had been chosen. Beth glanced towards Sirius, and found him looking back at her. She had never even spoken to him before, but they had something in common. Both were pure bloods, both only entered because of their parents.

"Beth!" before Beth could even look up Celia already had her arms wrapped around her best friend. Luckily Beth quickly regained her balance and did not fall, though she had come rather close. "Tomorrow, we'll-"

"Champions," Dumbledore addressed them. "Though this is a competition, I would advice you against cheating. You are allowed to share the information, you are allowed to seek help from anyone who is willing to give it to you. However, you may not cause harm to each other in any way, shape or form. I expect good sportsmanship from you all. Good night."

"Well there goes that plan." James said as Dumbledore had turned his back and walked away. He looked particularly at Beth, the Gryffindor-Slytherin hatred was deeply embedded in all of them. 

Cephas sulked away. Kaeley was pulled away by her friend, leaving only Sirius and Beth. Beth had been told to hate the Gryffindors by, well by everyone who was in Slytherin. However the sorting hat's words always came to mind: "A Gryffindor through and through." 

She should have been placed in Gryffindor, but she had 'a role to play'. Maybe it was referring to this tournament? Perhaps it wanted Slytherin to win? 

"Good luck." she eventually said to Sirius. 

"You too." he answered.