Chapter 9: Darker

"HEART SHAPED KISSES I REALLY MISS MY MISTRESS"

Mystic Grill

"It's all so weird." Elena stated, settling into her seat. "The Originals are throwing a ball. Like...an actual ball."

"It's some twisted Cinderella fetish is what it is." Caroline snapped, looking disgusted. "And who wrote the message asking to meet you?"

"I have no idea," Elena shook her head. "One of Klaus's siblings? I guess there's only one way to find out."

Caroline leaned back and gave Elena a pointed look. "I thought you told Damon and Stefan that you weren't going."

"I did," Elena replied, leaning forward. "Which is all the more reason why I need a drama-free bodyguard."

"Well, I think a Salvatore would look a lot better in a tux, and by that, I mean Stefan." Caroline tilted her head at Elena.

Elena groaned and shook her head. "Uhhh, I can't deal with either of the Salvatores right now. Whatever Stefan's feeling, he's channeling it all against Klaus, and Damon...it's just not a good idea."

"Why?" Caroline challenged. "Cause you two made out?"

Elena leaned back, stunned, and stared at her friend who admitted, "Bonnie spilled the beans."

"I was gonna tell you." Elena said guiltily, sighing. "It's just after everything that happened with your dad..."

"Elena," Caroline leaned forward. "When you and Matt kissed for the first time this freshman year, you called me the second it happened. I don't hear about this until now? From somebody else?"

Elena shook her head again, struggling for something to say. "I-I'm sorry. It's just...I don't even know how I feel about it yet. All I do know is that...it just used to be so much easier."

She stared off into space, reminiscing, while Caroline looked down sadly.

"Careful, Caroline."

An unpleasantly familiar voice interrupted the two.

"It's all well and good till she stabs you in the back." Rebekah walked up next to their table. Her appearance was as perfect as usual, her blonde hair up high in a ponytail, long dangling earrings hanging from her ears.