Chapter 22

Bella's P.O.V

They kept us in separate rooms after we were arrested. At first, it was just me staring at the one-way mirror, expecting to see someone through it, but there was only myself. Not a single cop came to see me for hours. They kept me handcuffed to a table with a bottle of water that was just out of my reach by a fucking inch. It was cold as well and nothing I had on was enough to provide me some warmth. Maybe they forgot about me?

It felt as if the whole day had gone by when the first cop showed up in the room, followed by his partner. They shut the door behind them and the first one to walk in motions to my hands. His partner comes up to me with the keys to my handcuffs and takes the restraints off me. I rub my aching wrists as they settle in front of me and open a file. It's a file about me.

"Isabella, I'm detective Garret and this is my partner detective Embry. We're here to help you." The first cop, Garret, spoke softly, as if he was trying to win over the trust of a lost child.

"I want a lawyer."

"You're not going to need one."

"Then why am I still here?"

"We need to ask you some routine questions," detective Embry said. "We understand you've been through so much these past couple of months and you're ready to go home to your family. Your father has been notified and is on his way here as we speak."

"Where is Edward?" I ask, panic rising in me.

"He's being questioned as well, there is nothing you should worry about. He can't hurt you anymore."

"No, you don't understand," I say. "I'm not worried about him hurting me, I'm worried about him." Both detectives looked confused by my words. It's then when it hits me that they think Edward is the criminal here, that he kidnapped me from home and put me through so many traumatic situations. "I chose to leave with him. He never forced me to do anything I didn't want to do, I left with him because if I stayed in Forks then my life was in serious danger."

Detective Garret leaned over the table and asked, "How?"

And so I told them everything. From the moment Edward and I met in the diner to now, every single thing I could account. Elizabeth's confession about Edward's true father, what I talked about with Aro, my power ridden cousin and the massacre from this morning. And they listened. Not once did they ask a question or clarification. They simply listened. I was out of breath by the time I was done, so I chugged the bottle of water to the last drop and squeezed the bottle with one fist.

"He's innocent," I continued, looking down at the wrinkled bottle. "He wants nothing more than to take care of his daughter and look after his mother. You have to believe me."

"It's going to take more than one testimony to determine that," detective Embry said. "What evidence do you have to prove it?"

"The body found at the old Masen's home!" I snap. "Go to Aro's organization, ask the people that worked for him, you'll find everything there. Or maybe the fact that I win nothing by lying, but I can't leave Edward like this."

Detective Garret nods to himself. "Fine, we'll give you the benefit of the doubt. We'll run an investigation and until you're proven right, he'll remain under our custody. He still killed a man."

"He was trying to protect me," I correct him. "That man was going to kill me if Edward hadn't been there to stop him."

It was left at that after the interrogation. I stayed in the police station for the night with no possibility of seeing Edward until Charlie showed up to claim me. It was an emotional reunion the following morning. I never thought I'd be so happy to see my father in my life, but there he was, alive and well. As healthy as a horse. We hugged for what felt like hour in the police station until it became awkward.