Changes | Chapter 6

Zacznij od początku

"I had nowhere else to go."

"What do you mean? Abbie is everything okay?"

"You think you can just go through a day without being thrown against the floor, without having to constantly pick yourself up. But there's always something, isn't there Spero. Something always ends up pissing you off."

Her words form a tense barrier in my throat, making me unable to calculate a word.

"Then I saw you and I was fed up. I just wanted to get away."

"Why me, though?" Congratulations Spero, you formed a sentence.

"Well, for one...You were on the ground fainted. I thought it was quite funny and I wanted to know why you were slumped across my front door step. Two, you always understand. We've been friends for ages, you would understand."

I never realised I fainted outside someone's house. Especially Abbie's. Wow, that's awkward.

"Wow, that's awkward" Did I just say that out loud?

"I, I, suppose?" Her voice stutters in anxiety.

Friendship. You. Understanding.

My stomach grumbles in hunger, but I decline in going home yet. What is Abbie so angry about? Her rage is apparent in the tip of her words. Her face soaked in blood frustration, her eyes splitting in sadness. Silently, a years worth of tears fall from her eyes. Nervously, I put my arm around her, squeezing the pain away. Squeezing the pain deeper into her mind, till it becomes dust. Hidden. Hidden until it builds up.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I'm being so stupid." Abbie's voice falls short.

"Of course you're not Abbie. But, what's wrong? What's happened?"

What could possibly be bothering her?

"So many things....too many. But mainly, my family. That night, Spero. That night I ran, I wasn't running because I had no where to stay. I wasn't running because my family were working. I was running because I had nowhere to go. No-one to be with... My family... they're not my family."

I feel her face, stroking it with my palm. Bruises mark her eyebrows, causing her to brush my hand away.

"Abbie, what are they doing to you?"

She tries to reply, but the words don't come. Lies between my arms, and cries desperately. Then, she leaves.

Rage. Hidden. Family.

Minutes pass. I think they're minutes. Leaves drop outside the cave, and light falls into nothing. I murmur to myself how I have no idea where I am, and conclude I should try and find my way to my house. Unlocking the cave, I trace back the steps I ran to get here, and run back. The stars twinkle behind my back, trees flourish into darkness, flowers die into the ground. My arms, cold, are not protected by my t-shirt, and they are pronounced bare. Wolfs howl, telling me that the night is alive with the moon. Stars dance upon the sky, playing with the transparent clouds... And I run.

Turning routes, branches fall, lies haunt and my stomach growls, the night secludes me away from safety, but I carry on turning the pages of the forest to find the ending, the ending of this mysterious night. I reach light from the city, and find myself plotted back in Pi. I dread to think the effect my entrance of my absence, but there's nothing I can do now. As I push the stale door that leads to my house, I expect the worst.

I get the worst.

The worst is not my family shouting at me. It's no family shouting at me. For the consecutive night away, no-one was cared for my absence. Ignored. Unloved. Alone.

Ignored. Unloved. Alone.

My feet whisper up the stairs, my ginger hair falling from my head tingles my neck, and I reach for the comfort of someone. Anyone. Sleep falls into my eyes and I reach for the luxury of my bed.

"Why does no-one care?"

The words were trapped in my brain, so I let them free into my speech. The golden chains of the pocket watch cascades from my drawer, and lands into my hands. The power it holds is magnificent, but does it work? I could make them care? I could use the Pocket Watch. Would it work?

The power leaves the Pocket Watch and falls into my soul. Remarkable lines mark the watch and create a terrific drawing upon the watch, I squint to see if it's recognisable, it's not.

Could I do it? Could I change my future, and make them care?

Could anyone do it?

You can. My brain says.

"Make my family care for me"

"Do it."

Nothing special happens to the watch, it remains golden with shine. It ticks with confection and remains still.

Then, something strange happens.

My brother barges through the door with light beaming on his face.

"Hey Spero, didn't hear you come in. How're you bro?"

__________________________

DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNN

Hooray! COT is back! Chapter 6 is a little bit of a slow burner, but the ending is probably the most cliff-hanger-ish we've seen so far. (Personally)

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter, shrubs. It's got a lot of character and setting development and hopefully you can relate more now with the character and setting.

QOTC - Favourite Quote from COT so far?

AOTD - This is a "fan favourite" -

She definitely hadn't read ",The Step By Step Guide : How To Murder Someone"

Thanks again for reading and please tell all your friendlings about the COT - we're so close to 2K views so it would mean a lot if you could! Thanks!