Lie in the Truth | Chapter 5

Have you ever wandered how Harry Potter would be without his magic, his mystery. If he was just a normal boy, shrouded in his thoughts and scared of delving into his memories. If he never knew about his parents, and how the car crash was a lie. If Harry Potter wasn't what he was, do you think he would still be as brave and strong?

Do you think he would still conquer his fears?

Wiping the dribbles of tears that cuddle upon my cheek, I think of how idiotic I have been. Thinking that they would treat me nicely, pondering about how they would tell me everything would be fine... Why did I not question authority? As they carried me into a locked room, my screams muffled, I began to understand the dumbness of my actions, but there's no going back now. Remembering how they patted my hair, whispered how everything was going to be okay, I only knew the scent of lies in their voices. Consequently, here I am, sat upon a oak chair, wishing I hadn't been so stupid. I shouldn't have trusted Mrs Frammagran.

But then, my Mum? She wanted me here? Should I trust her?

Brave. Fears. Tears.

They told me they would collect me after I calmed myself, apparently they think I'm dangerous... Collecting my thoughts, I sit up into a formalised posture and proceed to see positive from the situation. At least I'll find out who I am.

Abruptly, a women with short blonde hair approaches me with a stern look. Her face suggests she was not impressed by my screams of pain. Oh, how I would love to see her in the same situation. Slapping myself in the face, I clear my thoughts of hatred and death, and remain silent.

"Well, Mr Thomas. You've created quite the fuss."

"What do you expect me to do when I'm being dragged to my death? Sing you a song?" The confidence in my words stumble me, I even tempt to begin singing

"Your sarcasm will not get you anywhere. I'm quite astounded that you think we're going to kill you, Mr Thomas. Obviously your parents know you're not home.. Your Mum, perhaps?"

She says it like she knows my Mum, but the slur in her words contradict the thoughts.

"Why, you're a wonderful guesser. I bet you were the best at 'Guess Who?'"

"I have no time for petty games, Spero. Not even 'Guess Who?'... I already know who you are."

"Congratulations." Again, I'm shocked by my replies.

"I think it's time you met the person who has changed your life and continues to do so. Follow me."

Dangerous. Hatred. Change.

As she removes the lock from the adjacent door, I remember being through this corridor as I entered the building. At least this time I'm not kicking and screaming. I wear my matureness with pride as I await the unknown. We push through several doors that are strangers to me, anonymous entries to anonymous secrets, and finally reach a simple door that leads to a large room, reminding me of a assembly hall. Paintings and pictures of strangers plaster across the walls and a curved table sits in the middle of the room, omniscient to the eye. A slim man with sliced yellow hair but noticeable patches of grey, sits alone beside the table, his fingers tapping the wooden furniture. Glasses with shiny rims highlight his marked face, his crooked smile shows danger but security and his posture balanced and polite, I know who this is.

The Governor of Pi stands with a greeting hand shake, offering me his friendship. I accept, because through his painful eyes, I see goodness.

Maybe they're not going to kill me after all?

Strangers. Friendship. Goodness.

"Well, Spero! How lovely to see you. I'm quite unsure of the fuss you made entering the building, and I want to make sure you know you're completely safe." I believe his eyes.

"I hope so, I'm just worried about why I'm here. I'm just so confused."

"That's where we're here to...to hopefully help."

Noticing the mark of confusion on my face, he decides to proceed with his thoughts.

"This year, we've seen some differences in characters. So you took the test at school, to negotiate if these tests... Were a sign of a different race, this race being, The Time Changers. We..We don't know much about these, but we've undergone tests with some of the patients of this different race. We stimulated a drug to mend the memory...This is probably a little complicated, so I'll skip the sciency parts. If that's okay?"

My mind wonders on whether the 'sciency' parts might tell me more about myself.

"Urm, yeah...Okay." My voice bubbles.

"Being a changer of time... Or Time Changer, basically helps you to be able to change memories of the past. From the tests, we've noticed that these Time Changers can only change something once a year. A past memory, into something new. The patients for Time Changers only happen after the age of sixteen...and we've only seen it happen this year. Do you understand?

My mouth fails me, and I remain silent.

"I'll take that as a...yes? Consequently we're sure you will take your new..powers...with respect. That, is pretty much it..."

No cages? No tests? No guidance. They accept that I won't use these powers against them? I won't destroy them? I won't destroy myself? Questions, questions drown my mind, forcing me into a state of mental confusion.

Tests. Guidance. Powers. Destruction. Confusion. Scared. Scared.

Mrs Frammagrans voice rings me into sense.

"Make sure you ask about The Pocket Watch."

"Urm..Governor? How do I control time?"

Strangely, he laughs.

"Oh, I always forget! The Pocket Watch!"

A golden string of chain rapped around a circular clock falls from his hand. It's beauty, remarkable. Edges framed with words, letters, numbers - unreadable. The colours magnificent, reflect around the watch like shards of glass. I've never seen anything so spectacular.

"When you want to change time...Open the watch, and tell the watch, with your heart, what you want to change. It'll listen."

And then, just like that, I'm pushed into leaving.

Spectrums of light fill my brain, mushing my thoughts into a clump of frustration and utter confusion. Why do they not care? Why would they just..trust me? Where are they getting all this equipment? Golden strings of metal fall from my pocket, with a pocket watch attached. What is this? Where did they make it? Nothing makes any sense. Help me. Help me, someone. Help, I'm falling.

Time. Confusion. Help. Falling.

I wake up with sniffles of grass poking through my nose. I must have fainted on the walk home in my utter desperation for help. Loneliness creeps my body, I shiver in the silence of the world. Someone's hand reaches into mine, I see her eyes glimmer in the Sun. Abbie... Her face instantly calms my desperation. She's guides me into the light.

Help. Light. Abbie.

Me. That's where I connect to Harry Potter. Without my powers, without my race, without the Time Changers.

Would I still conquer my fears?

Time to find out.

__________________________

Hey Shrubs, thank you so much for reading COT Chapter 5!

This chapter is quite iffy, in my opinion. There was a lot of dialogue that I needed to write and I'm not the best at dialogue so sorry for that.

COT got to 1,000 reads which is just incredible! Thank you so much!

Stealing @ohmytobias here and I'm going to do Question of The Chapter so here goes!

QOTC : What's your favourite chapter of COT so far?

AOTC : Chapter 1 will always have a place in my heart as the chapter that really hasn't changed since I drew the idea of COT. But I love the action in Chapter 2 and 3.

Make sure to comment here you answer! I would love to see your thoughts!

Thanks again!