The Boy Next Door : knj

Namjoon lives next door to you. The two of you have been friends for as long as you can remember.

No smut.

My friend always asks for music suggestions when she reads so I made you a little list of song recommendations for this story in case you like that too 🖤

Saturday Nights - Khalid
When We Were Young - Lost Kings
Dusk and Summer - Dashboard Confessional
Countless - SHINee
Below My Feet - Mumford & Sons
goodnight n go - Ariana Grande
Us - Regina Spektor

You sat at the desk in your bedroom facing the window that looked toward your neighbor's house, working on your math homework. God, you hated math. You stared at the equation on the page and didn't have the first idea on how to start it. You tapped the paper with the eraser of your pencil, resting your head against your hand. The walkie talkie on the desk next to you crackled and you grabbed it, holding it up to your face and raising your eyes to the distant window at the house next door.

You could make out a boy's face there, a matching walkie talkie in his hand. "Why are you scowling, Red?" He asked through the speaker, tilting his head and smiling at you.

You relaxed back into your chair, his contagious smile reaching your face as well. You pushed the button on the walkie talkie to speak. "Algebra," you complained, making a face.

"Want help with it?" He asked.

"Please. Treehouse?"

"See you in ten, over and out," he said, disappearing from the window. You grinned and grabbed your backpack, tossing your Algebra book and notebook into it and grabbing your Chemistry homework as well before pounding down the stairs. You stopped by the pantry and grabbed a pack of starburst candy before rushing out to the big tree at the back of your neighbor's yard.

You scurried up the ladder and crawled in through the door, plopping onto one of the big cushions on the floor of the wooden structure, tossing the candy down and digging out your homework. A short moment later you heard movement below and Namjoon came crawling into the treehouse, grinning at you.

"Took you long enough," you said with a smile as he sat himself on a cushion and set down his own homework, pulling a bag of hot fries out of his backpack and tossing them down next to the starburst before grabbing your Algebra homework from you.

"I said ten minutes," he huffed, breathing deeply. "You were *gasp* early," he said, swallowing and trying to catch his breath.

You frowned at him. "Did you bring your inhaler?" You asked. He shook his head.

"I'm - fine," he said but you fished his spare inhaler out of your bag and tossed it to him anyway. He caught it and took two quick puffs before passing it back to you, his face a bit flushed. He cleared his throat. "Thanks," he mumbled. You shoved the inhaler back into your bag.

"No problem wheezy," you teased, grabbing the hot fries and ripping them open. You scooted closer to him to look over his shoulder as he did the first problem on your Algebra homework, explaining as he went.

You were lying in bed scrolling through your phone in the dim summer twilight hours when you heard the walkie talkie crackle on your bedside table. You snatched it up, listening but nothing came through.

"You there Joon?" You asked in a low voice.

"Yeah," you heard him mutter. During the short time that he had pressed the button to answer you could hear distant shouting from elsewhere in his house. "Treehouse?" He asked, his voice soft and tentative. "Please?"