"You're reading Persuasion? " Eve exclaimed.

"When he came back, why didn't she tell him?"

"Well, because things had changed so much." Evelyn said. "She'd lost money, he'd become rich, they hadn't spoken in eight years. The only thing that stayed the same was her feelings, but how was she to know he felt the same, especially since she rejected him. And then, of course, she thought he was in love with Louisa, and with Mr. Elliot suddenly in the picture―well, you've read it."

"It was an interesting study of people." Sherlock said.

"That's one way to look at it, I suppose." Eve said, looking past him, and out the window. "It always reminds me that love can be lasting and persevering. It's inspiring."

"I see now why you like it so much." Sherlock said.

He watched her as she lost herself in thinking about the book, feeling as though her smile was just for him. She looked back at him, her smile growing.

"Does this mean you'll read Pride and Prejudice too?" She asked.

"Of course not." He scoffed. "I said I see why you like it. I never said I did."

Evelyn laughed. "A girl can hope."

"Yes, I'd say she can."

--------------

Sherlock planned to surprise Eve . He heard her complaining to Mary about her long days at the office. Evidently other government agents didn't make for good lunch companions and Evelyn was too busy to have eat at the clinic with Mary and John or come home during her break.

Sherlock decided he would go to her.

A farmers market type of event was setting up for the lunch rush when he arrived. As Sherlock crossed the courtyard, a man in a green apron carrying a cooler bumped into him.

"Oh, sorry." The man said.

Sherlock's brow furrowed in annoyance, but he managed to say, "It's alright."

"Hang on," the man said before Sherlock could walk too far. "Don't I know you from somewhere?"

"Probably." Sherlock said. "Excuse me."

With that, he continued on his way to find Eve and treat her to lunch.

Her office door was open when he arrived. Sherlock stopped in the doorway when he saw her. She stood across from her case board, but didn't look at it. She was deep in her own mind palace ― even though she refused to call it that. Apparently the phrase sounded too high and mighty. She twirled a pen between her fingers while she thought.

Sherlock leant against the doorframe, a small smile appearing on his face. His gaze tracked along her figure. Her sleeves were pushed up to her elbows, as they always were when she worked. A strand of her hair fell from where it had been tucked behind her ear; a beam of sunlight from the window set it aglow. Evelyn inhaled, her eyes refocusing. She turned around and scribbled something onto her case file laying on the desk.

She noticed him then, her face breaking into a huge surprised grin.

Sherlock's chest felt tighter as he felt his heartbeat speed up.

"Sherlock!" She exclaimed. "What brings you to the British Government?"

"You said you wanted someone to eat lunch with, and my case is rather boring at the moment." Sherlock said.

"I do believe I said that the Mary..." Eve said.

"I do listen occasionally." Sherlock said defensively.