CH 23: A 'Yes' Would Suffice

Start from the beginning

"You too, Antonia. You seem to come visit me often," she teased, then turned to Darren. "Hi, I'm Dr. Sully."

"Darren."

"Nice to mee you." She turned to Toni and staged whispered into her ear, "He's cute."

Toni playfully rolled her eyes and bit at her lip while Darren softly laughed.

"So, you must be excited, yeah?" The doctor asked. Toni nodded. Sully added, "I remember when you first came in here, young Toni," she giggled.

"I also remember."

"Well let's hope there'll be many more reasons for you to visit," she smiled, nodding towards Toni's tummy.

***

"I'm fine, Darren," Toni snapped. Darren was starting to annoy her. He was always in her face asking her questions and she was too irritated to answer. Like right now helping her down the stairs. She was pregnant, not fucking crippled. She didn't need his help.

"You nearly just fell up there."

"But I didn't, right?"

She didn't want to sound so bratty but her emotions were everywhere. She was nearly five months along and Darren was like a mama bear. So protective. This made this the worst day to move in. Toni was already stressed about the movers ripping up her comforters and walking all through the house, she couldn't take anymore.

Once she was fully down the steps she took a deep breath and looked at Darren. "I need you to give me fifty feet. Seriously. I'm gonna go take a bath and if anyone comes and bothers me--if the damned dog even scratches at the door-- I'm blaming you."

His eyes widened in amusement. "Oh yeah? Then what are you gonna do?"

She was glad Darren had a sense of humor because any other guy would've been done with her shit. She narrowed her eyes at him and gritted out. "You won't be getting any until after I heel from the baby."

His mouth shut. "That's what I thought," she smiled and turned down the hall to the bathroom.

She guessed her threat worked because for a whole hour she heard nothing but her feet sloshing in the water.

June, Rory's Fourth Birthday

The two suites were perfect. Each had two rooms and two baths that made Toni smile. Now one might ask, Why two rooms? Well, because Toni insisted that Luna, Jeremy and Leo come along too. Rory didn't mind as long as she met Goofy she'd be just fine.

Her silence made Toni's heart ache but she hoped that a little excitement brightened her smile and made her squeal with delight.

"Mommy," the little girl lowly said. Toni now being six months pregnant took longer than others to get where she needed to be. When she finally got to the other side of the room she smiled down at the little girl.

"What's up, buttercup?"

"I dunno what shirt to wear."

"Hmm," Toni examined both Disney shirts and decided that the Cinderella's Castle one was the cutest. "This one is best. You have to look extra special today since you're the birthday princess."

"Do you think I'll meet Princess Cinderella or Tiana?"

"I sure hope so. Those are the only two you wanna see today?"

Rory slowly nodded, "They lost their daddies too."

"Baby..." Toni softly sighed, trying her hardest to kneel in front of the small child. "Your daddy would want you to be happy on your birthday. Can you give a big smile?"