“Mommy!” wailed a little sibling from somewhere in the house, and a moment later, seven-year-old Cassidy rushed into the kitchen with teary blue eyes. “Mommy, Sean keeps hitting me with his light saber and I told him to stop and he won’t!”

“This is the part where I leave,” said my dad, leaning down to kiss Mom. “Take care, honey. See you this afternoon, Danny. Don’t be late.”

Somehow he thought that me driving myself places this year meant that I would be late to everything. Ignoring his comment, I blew bubbles in the shake with its straw as he walked out the back door, just as Sean ran into the kitchen, waving his Nerf light saber and whooping like an Indian. I never understood how he had that much energy so early in the morning.

“MOMMY!” screamed Cassidy, seizing my mom and hiding behind her. I started laughing, earning a glare from my mom that told me I wasn’t being helpful. Putting down my shake, I caught Sean by his t-shirt, tugging him towards me and taking his saber away.

“Okay, little buddy, you can’t hit your sister,” I told him, ruffling his flyaway blonde hair as he stared at me indignantly. “No matter how annoying she is.”

“But you hit Caleb all the time!”

“Yeah, but Caleb’s thirteen and can take it. And he’s a boy. You don’t hit girls.”

Sean cocked his head to one side. “Why not?”

Explaining things to kindergarteners never worked. I handed him back his saber and told him to go kill some clones, which he happily obeyed. As my mom thanked me with a smile, Cassidy stepped away from her and fixed me with a beady look, crossing her arms.

“Danny, put some clothes on.”

I picked up my protein shake, raising an eyebrow. “Who are you, the queen?”

“And take a shower,” she added, wrinkling her nose. “You smell like a potty.”

“Well, thanks.” I got to my feet, looking accusingly at my mom. “I thought you told me that being the oldest home would get me some respect. Cassidy would never have said that to Jack, would you have, Cass?”

My little sister was horrified at the thought; she worshipped Jack. “That’s ‘cause Jack never smells like a potty! He’s nice!”

“Cassidy, be nice to your brother,” Mom scolded, though she was hiding a smile, and I gave up. Setting the glass on the counter, I announced that I was going to go shower in peace and then walked out of the room, pausing only to tug one of Cassidy’s braids.

Sometimes I envied Mal, who was an only child.

“Glad you still love me, girl,” I said to my dog as she nuzzled my legs at the top of the stairs. I sank down on the steps and scratched behind her fluffy golden ears as she clambered all over me. She pressed her nose against my neck as she lapped happily at my sweat, and I pushed her away, laughing.