Chapter 9

Cheryl's POV

I jolted up from my bed. I was screaming loudly. Veronica came running over to me, grasping me. I was sweating. Tears were rolling down my cheeks. What the hell just happened?

"Cheryl! What happened? Are you okay?" Veronica asked. I was shaking. I remembered that I had asked Veronica to stay at mine.

"Y-yeah. Just ummm...just another nightmare. It's fine. I'm fine." I explained.

"Cheryl you need to talk about it. It will make you feel better." Veronica was rubbing my back. She was a great friend to me. She always had been. She was really comforting towards me since the whole thing with Toni.

I tried to separate dreams from reality.

"How's Toni?" I asked.

"The same. Now, do you want to talk about that dream?" She questioned. I partially relaxed.

"Well...It-It was Toni. She woke up. She was fine. Then-s-sh-she-out of nowhere-she had a heart attack or something. I lost her." I pinched myself. I wasn't dreaming. Not now. It was hard for me to wrap my head around that dream. It felt real, but I was so glad it wasn't.

"Veronica, I've never felt so scared." Veronica pulled me in to a hug.

"Cheryl, it was a dream. Toni's not dead. It's okay. You're okay." Veronica said. My heart started to go back to a normal pace, but I couldn't stop crying. Two weeks. Two weeks without having Toni. She was unconscious, unresponsive. Only now, I actually started to realise, I might never see Toni again. I might never hear her voice again.

"W-What if she doesn't wake up?" I blurt out.

"Cheryl, you can't think like that." Veronica stated. She was obviously upset about all of this too. She was good friends with Toni. It started after they saved me. It brought them closer.

"Veronica, I don't think I can live without her. I love her." I managed to get my words out in between tears.

"You won't have to. And I know you love her. She certainly loves you. She's a fighter, Cheryl." Veronica comforted me. There was a short and peaceful pause between us.

"Thanks for being here. I wouldn't be able to get through this without your help."

"Anytime, Cheryl. She will wake up. It may seem unlikely, but you can't lose hope."  Veronica stopped. "You should go and see her in the morning. I'll come with you, if you want."

"I would love that. Thanks Veronica." I exclaimed.

Authors note:

Classic, overused plot twist. Sorry not sorry. Did I get any of you for a second? Hope you enjoyed this chapter! It's early too. I'm surprised with myself. Next one tomorrow!
x