Chapter 4 - On a Rooftop

Start from the beginning

Despite his coldness towards the subject, he was beginning to consider the possibility of someone threatening to kill her if Nexus didn't abide to their will. He supposed it would depend on what exactly they wanted, but he liked to think he would let her be killed if they asked too much and lose little to no sleep over it.

Thing was, he would never truly know unless the time came.

And that thought was a scary one.

Nexus put Quinn to the back of his mind as he continued moving down the street, eventually darting down an alleyway. He'd tried to teleport once he left Neo and the others, but the pain from his side had been too much for him to be able to concentrate. Now it wasn't as bad however, since he'd gotten used to the pressure he was putting on it, so took a deep breath and closed his eyes as he focused on moving himself up to the highest skyscraper in the city.

It ended up being a success, and he looked around the rooftop as he arrived, spotting Zuro yet again at the edge of the building. "Still here? Thought you might've gotten bored and gone on another little killing spree." Nexus said, slipping his hand into his pocket as he subtly maintained the pressure on his wound. Zuro regarded him coldly, then looked out across the city once more. "I've been observing this city. These people are...repulsive. Worms going about their lives, ignorant of their own weakness. Their sins forgotten. Their fragile peace resting on a hair's breadth. They are happy. Content. The death I grant them is a blessing; a kindness undeserved." He spoke without turning around, unable to see Nexus' perplexed expression.

"Okaaaaay. Anyway. I don't have the boy but I know where he is. There's some things you should know." Nexus said as he watched Zuro, who only now turned around and stepped down from the edge of the roof. "You don't have the boy?" The man asked stonily, his hateful red eyes boring deep into Nexus'. It was only then that Nexus realised just how tall Zuro truly was. Nexus himself was considered above average, standing at 6'3, but the man before him must've been around 6'7, at a guess. He remained undeterred by the piercing glare that unwilling set his skin on edge. "I don't. There were more complications than anticipated. The boy had friends, new ones. Each with powers of their own. One could control electricity, one could-" "I don't care about the others." Zuro snapped, cutting Nexus off succinctly "I already assumed there were others like him. All I want is that boy."

A scowl crossed Nexus' face, but his brain was working overtime. He'd thought the knowledge of the others would be enough to temporarily sate the psychopath, but that obviously wasn't the case. His brutish nature and unabashed lack of respect were causing alarm bells to ring in Nexus' mind. "I can get you the boy, but first I want to ensure that you'll honour our agreement. How do you intend to prove that you're loyal to me?" Nexus asked, his eyes watching the man carefully. "Ah yes, loyalty." Zuro practically spat the word, like the longer it remained on his tongue the fouler it tasted. "Truth is, my loyalties don't lie anywhere but myself. And you, human, are certainly no exception to that." Zuro said with a grin, which Nexus was less than impressed with.

Sensing the rising tension in the air, Nexus moved his free hand to his side just in case Zuro tried anything. He was already regretting not getting his injury healed before coming, but he wouldn't let it demoralise him."You seriously think that-" he took a step towards Zuro, but the other man suddenly lashed out with a sideways kick aimed at Nexus' side, so fast it would've been impossible for any regular human to predict it. Nexus did not consider himself a regular human, however, and since he'd seen the attack coming he was able to move his hand up to create a wall of air just in time. Zuro's foot connected with the barrier, but then something Nexus wouldn't have predicted in a thousand years happened.

A whooshing sound filled the air as Nexus' barrier was shattered completely by the impact of Zuro's foot, which had enough momentum to keep going even after demolishing the solid air shield. It collided with Nexus' arm and broke it almost immediately, a loud snap sounding across the roof as Nexus was sent skidding across it. His reaction was far from immediate. It wasn't until he had skidded to a stop against the edge of the roof that he began screaming in agony, clutching his awkwardly bent arm as Zuro slowly and menacingly approached. "You really believed I would work under the likes of you? How pitifully naive." He said as he stopped beside Nexus, looming over him with his insane red eyes staring directly down "Now that I'm stuck here, I think I'm going to spend my time finding new ways to keep myself entertained. I'm still debating whether or not I want to keep you around." He raised his foot above Nexus, who knew full well that if it were to be brought down on him he wouldn't stand a chance at blocking it.