03

Amara’s POV.

“At 12 o’clock, there’s a guy in a black coat.”

My head swiveled as Masha’s alert signal caught my attention. She had spotted something and I immediately followed her line of sight. My eyes landed on a man in a black coat, his face covered by a mask. He was moving with a sense of urgency, constantly looking over his shoulder as if he believed someone was monitoring his every action.

“This doesn’t feel right,” I muttered to myself. “That man is up to something.”

My instincts told me that something was off about this man. I knew I had to keep a close eye on him. The royal protectors and guards were already on high alert, as the Alpha King and his family were scheduled to arrive for the annual feast.

The former Alpha King, along with the former Luna, as well as Alpha Damien’s brother Dane and sister Dianne, entered the feast hall. This was a rare occasion, as they only got together on special occasions, such as his birthday. And today was his birthday.

Many members of the pack had gathered to witness the reunion of the most powerful family in Alvinia. It was a tradition for all the four corners of the continent to come together and celebrate such an event. The Nidavellir, home of the dwarves and healers. The Prime, where the vampires resided. Salem, the land of witches and other elemental creatures. And lastly, the Scarlet Crescent, the territory of the werewolves.

“Just to be safe, I’ll inform the others in case of a sudden attack,” Masha said over the earpiece.

As the feast began, I kept my eyes on the man in the black coat. I noticed him leaving after hearing the banquet host’s declaration. Thinking he might be summoning allies to cause trouble, I reached for the dagger in my holster and began to follow him.

“Where are you going, Amara?!” Masha’s uneasiness came through the earpiece.

“I’m going after him.”

“What? No, Amara! Just keep an eye on the Alpha King. Someone else has been assigned for that,” she insisted, but I didn’t listen. Not that I didn't trust our colleagues, but I felt it was better to catch him myself.

“Chill. I’ve got this, Mash—” I stopped when I suddenly caught a strong scent of coffee and mint. My eyes came out of socket as I realized the reason why.

Is the Moon Goddess really giving me a second mate? It’s only been two days since I accepted Axel’s rejection!

I looked around cautiously, forgetting about my intention to chase the man as I was taken aback by the epiphany. My entire body shuddered as my brain struggled to process what was happening. The atmosphere was lively, and everyone was enjoying themselves. While their faces were adorned with smiles, mine was the complete opposite. Until my attention was soon captured by someone at the front.

I found myself drawn to a handsome man in the distance. His brow was furrowed, and his eyes were scanning the chamber as if searching for someone. Then, he lifted his head, and his eyes met mine. My mouth fell open as my heart raced.

“It can’t be,” I muttered, shaking my head in disbelief.

Overwhelmed and caught off guard, I stumbled backward, unaware of the person behind me. I accidentally bumped into a woman, causing her to drop the tray of wine she was holding, drawing everyone’s attention, including his.

The man’s face registered surprise, then turned into a scowl as he noticed me slowly retreating. His nose flared up, and he breathed heavily, looking furious. I couldn’t tell if he was going to strike me or confront me in some other way, but I knew it wouldn’t be pleasant.