Chapter 12

-SPRING BREAK-

I asked Leni to prepare a welcome home party for Lori, and I made sure she did it to the absolute best of her ability. Mom and Dad worked together on a feast filled with all of her favorite foods. On the day she would come home, Clyde, Bobby and Ronnie Anne arrived with home gifts, and Lily scribbled a drawing of the two of them. My sisters promised to put on their best behavior. And any message that was even slightly passive-aggressive, my mom and I forced a do-over.

Mom peeked out the door and saw Dad approaching, "Kids! Places! Here they come!"

The door swung open, and when my sisters stood behind the couch, Bobby, Clyde, and I raced to the door, "WELCOME Home, Lor...i?"

Whoa. Lisa wasn't kidding. More than not say a word, Lori had completely disconnected from the family! She didn't look like a Loud; she looked like a professional businesswoman just looking for a place to rest on her way to her next venture. Dressed in a suit, black heels, she's even removed her blue eyeshadow! And her eyes were dead. But her heart...That blizzard did not come from a Polar Front; it came from her!

"I'll be in 30," Monotone! She didn't even notice us. She just stared at the family, and then she walked with Dad to the bathroom.

Dead silence.

"The door didn't slam..." I muttered, "She always slams the door..."

"Welp..." Clyde looked like he just witnessed his own death, "I no longer have a crush on her..."

"Understatement of the century..." Bobby looked like he just died.

"At least she said words," Mom said, "Ok, kids. Let's at least try to say something."

Lunch was no better. Lori ate like a proper lady, eyes and mouth closed. Everyone else waited for her to say something as if they had some kind of snarky retort at the ready.

"Uh, so Lori!" Bobby took the initiative, "I heard you're gonna golf at the invitational next month." He didn't look hopeful, as she just ignored him, "Well...oh! Did you hear what Clyde was up to?"

"Uh, yeah!" Ronnie Anne played up the act, "Clyde backstabbed Lincoln and made out with me!"

Wide-eyed Clyde, "Wait, that's not-"

"It's ok; just play along!" I rapidly whispered before we went into cringey acting, "You what?! How could you?!"

"Uh...w-yeah, screw you, you white-haired wimp!"

Nothing. Not even a blink...

"Lincoln, I'm scared..."

"Stand strong, Clyde..."

Lynn suddenly remembered how her nights with me got Lori going, "Lincoln and I have been hitting it off pretty hard. If you know what I mean." She waited a few seconds, then whispered something in her ear. I don't know what she said, but she got an uncomfortable reaction from Mom and Dad. Amazingly, nothing from Lori! "Dangit."

"Gah!" Lola exclaimed, "Why's it so hard to get a rise out of you?!"

"Probably because the smartest thing that ever came out of her was a fist and some air," Luan 'joked.'

"Ohooooo, sick burn, bro!" Luna was about to fistbump when she felt Dad's icy cold gaze.

"Sick like your wooden guitar?" Dad glared, "I heard you say 'guitar smash' last night."

"OOO AAA PBBTTT!" Lily called them out.

Luan and Luna put their heads down.

"Guys!" Ronnie Anne got desperate, "How about we play a game together to get our frustrations out?"