"Could you stop that racket ?" Gaius yelled. "It's making me miserable!"

My maker, Gaius, spread himself on an antique chaise, wearing a silk robe and baggy sweat pants. Curly hair framed his youthful face. Gaius was only sixteen when his maker turned him but often acted like he was twelve. The ancient vampire was in one of his moods, the back of his hand resting against his forehead. A groan escaped his throat like he was grieving, but I knew he only wanted attention. His other hand nursed a glass of luke-warm blood. Three humans crowded around him in matching sweats, necks and arms pocked with bite marks, attempting to raise his spirits.

"Master, don't worry."

"Here, take my blood."

I rolled my eyes. He knew I hated pets, but still invited them into our home nonetheless.

Once I entered the room, Gaius shot up, spilling thick blood onto the carpets. Sloppy. It wasn't about the money, we could pay to replace the carpet, but I still sighed at his carelessness. You'd think that after two-thousand years the teen would've learned a sense of elegance.

"Matteo! Where have you been? Why haven't you answered my messages? I saw you read them!"

"Busy," I grumbled, walking to the nearest chair to fall into it. I sighed and kicked off my shoes, happy to rest my feet. I took a long drag and leaned my head back, watching the smoke curl to the ceiling. My lungs burned, and the rush of nicotine calmed my nerves.

"You know that'll kill you, right?" My maker chided.

"Ha. Ha. Ha." I didn't smile.

"You should switch to those vape pens. They have different flavors you can try, like bubble gum. Can you believe it? You can actually taste bubblegum without puking blood! I love this century. Do you think they have burger flavor? I've always wanted to taste a burger, or maybe a taco."

"Gaius. Please stop," I groaned. Our nest was pure chaos, and all I wanted was quiet. "Allow me one second of peace. I've had a rough night."

The violin came to an erratic halt. Claude's teacher gingerly took the instrument from him and placed it on the floor.

"This seems like a bad time. Let's pause til tomorrow night," the teacher said.

"Agreed. Goodnight mon chéri," Claude replied. They kissed each other's cheeks. The vampire slipped onto the open balcony and was whisked away on a shadow—leaving the flutter of wings in his wake.

The golden-haired man turned, amber eyes flashing my way.

"Who was that?" I asked as Claude glided to the chaise, leaning a delicate hand against the back cushions. What elegance our maker lacked, Claude made up for in spades. Every one of his movements exuded perfect etiquette.

The prick.

"An old flame from the 1800s, back when you were off playing cowboy," he said. A sly smile crossed his lips, but he quickly changed the subject. "What's this about a rough night, Matteo?"

"Yes, do tell," Gaius said. All attention turned on me. My brothers always had an ear for gossip. Even the humans, who surrounded Gaius like flies, gazed at me with anticipation. I closed my eyes and swore. They'd find out sooner or later.

"I had a run-in with the Mietitori."

"Oh dear," Claude clicked his tongue. "Baby vampires are such brutes."

Gaius leaned forward, his countenance changing. The childish air turned grim. He was both our maker and leader of our clan, which was the only thing in the world he took seriously.