❀ Masquerade ❀

"Pink Diamond?"

        The Gem in question hurriedly checked herself before taking a seat in her palanquin.

        "Yes?"

        A Hessonite entered and saluted. "The Nephrite fleet has landed. They are all positioned in strategic areas, as you requested."

        The larger Gem nodded, fiddling with her hair.

        "My Diamond instructed me to tell you to expect a signal from her soon."

        The former jumped. She looked incredibly on edge.

        "That is all," the Hessonite finished, and, saluting once more, she retreated through the curtains.

        The seated Gem sighed in relief, visibly slumping, and the her form was whited out. The diamond against her navel disappeared as her figure shrunk, moulding, thinning. Instead, it was the genuine pearl that remained visible.

        Pearl was left sitting upon the throne, pale and drained. She almost let herself close her eyes before a gust of wind blew the curtains inward, prompting her to jump down and slip into the shadows at the back of the palanquin.

        The real Pink Diamond was out masquerading as her Quartz persona. She had left Pearl in charge of upholding her authoritarian image and conducting audiences. She had been confident that, seeing as she was White's original Pearl, she apply any colour she wished to her form. As usual, Pink had been right — but even with her bettered stamina, Pearl was finding it increasingly difficult to hold her cloned form. At times she had even been forced to project a tinted hologram of herself to act the Pearl — a newfound talent she found she had to hurriedly develop.

        So far she had managed to dupe the Pink Court and other visiting Gems, but she doubted she could fool another Diamond the same way. If Yellow didn't pick up on her new ticks, she would certainly notice the change in her voice or her unusual silence.

        It was at that moment the panel flashed yellow.

        Instinctively, Pearl shifted hurriedly into Pink Diamond's form, brushing her hair down over her gem. She reached for the panel with a gloved hand, and then stopped.

        She couldn't fool her.

        Her heart stuttered in her chest as her mind raced. There was only really one thing to do. But if Yellow found out. . .

        She squeezed her eyes shut, steeling herself, and melted back to her own form. Then, taking a deep breath, she answered the signal.

        The viewing panel was projected into the air above her and Yellow Diamond's pinched face materialised onscreen. She looked faintly surprised upon noticing the smaller Gem, and then frowned.

        "Where is Pink?"

        "She is out inspecting the Nephrite positions, Ye—" she cut herself off, horrified, and hurriedly spoke again. "—Your Clarity."

        Yellow Diamond opened her mouth as if to say something, took a breath, and closed it again. She cleared her throat.

        "Well, can you notify her that I—" something like guilt flashed across her features and she began again. "Can you tell her that I have some plans she may want to look at."

        "Yes, Your—"

        "And that she's doing well."

        And then she was gone.