Chap. 32 - The Stables and Minas Tirith

Start from the beginning

Aragorn's eyes watered, and he hugged me, "I'm afraid this is the last time I'll see you again."

I started to sob into his shoulder, "Don't say that! Don't. Don't say that."

"I'm coming with you," Aragorn said, and kissed my cheek.

"No. You have to stay! Gandalf... I have to go," I said, and pulled away. A single tear dropped out of his eye. I wiped my face, and clutched Arroch's reins. I started to climb onto Arroch, and looked at him. I stopped, and jumped off of Arroch. I ran to him, and hugged him one last time.

"I don't want to go, Aragorn," I cried. His voice seemed thick, "Then don't! Stay here!"

"Gandalf said he needs me. I have to. He's waiting for me, Aragorn," I said, and took in a raspy breath. He wiped my eyes gently and kissed me one last time. I climbed back onto Arroch, and walked slowly to the gates where Gandalf was waiting. I looked back at Aragorn, who seemed to be sobbing lightly. I wiped my eyes and nose, and left the security of Edoras.

I love you, Aragorn. I thought with all my might. We galloped away from Edoras, and we were on our way to Minas Tirith.

~ARAGORN'S POINT OF VIEW~

"I love you." I said softly.

I watched Alex and Arroch leave the village. I wiped my eyes. I was worried for her safety. I didn't realized Merry was standing further down the small road. Once Gandalf, Pippin, and Alex disappeared from sight, he ran to the watchtower.

"Merry!" I yelled, and ran after him. I shoved past a guard, and reached the top of the tower. Shadowfax's coat glimmered in the morning sunlight, and Arroch's brown coat shimmered.

"He's always followed me, everywhere I went, since before we were tweens. I would get him into the worst sort of trouble, but I was always there to get him out. Now he's gone. Just like Frodo and Sam. Now even Alex is gone. Everyone I love is gone," Merry sighed.

"One thing I have learned about Hobbits: They're a most hardy folk," I said, and put my hand on his small shoulder. I watched Alex's green cloak wave in the wind behind her. We stayed and watched them ride until we couldn't see them anymore.

~ALEX'S POINT OF VIEW~

As we rode, the wind dried my tears. I sucked in my feelings, and held them in. We rode for at least a day at full gallop. We stopped to make camp, and I let Arroch rest. He was extremely tired from the long ride. To release my anger, I walked into the forest while Gandalf and Pippin were making a campfire. I unsheathed my sword and swung it around. A small, dead tree stood in front of me. I screamed out my anger and sadness, and swung my sword. The blade sliced through the tree with surprising ease. The tree stayed put. I screamed again and kicked it, and the top half of the tree fell onto the ground. There. I felt a little better. I walked back to the camp, and unrolled my sleeping pad that was on Arroch's saddle. Gandalf handed me a small plate of bacon and some cooked tomatoes. I murmured my thanks, and ate it quickly. I laid down on my sleeping pad, and sobbed myself to sleep. I woke up in the early morning, and Gandalf was already awake. He handed me some lembas bread, and woke Pippin up. We packed quickly, and got back on the road to Minas Tirith again. Arroch seemed to be energized again, and we rode at full gallop again. Pippin fell asleep again.

In the afternoon, Pippin woke up again.

"Where are we?" Pippin asked.

"We just passed into the realm of Gondor," Gandalf said.

We rode for what seemed like an hour more, and we slowed and let the horses rest. Well, we actually let Arroch rest. Shadowfax didn't even seem tired. But then again, he was a horse lord.