Chap. 32 - The Stables and Minas Tirith

I groomed Arroch, and pet him, and then I decided that I should go back to the Golden Hall. I ran up the stairs and ran into Èomer.

"Sorry, Èomer," I said awkwardly. I still felt bad about last night.

Èomer nodded, "It's alright. I'm sorry.. About last night. I should not have tried to kiss you. I angered Aragorn."

"I'm sorry as well. I feel terrible still," I said, and looked at the ground.

"It's not your fault. It's mine. I acted quickly, and boldly," Èomer said. He looked back at the great hall, "I need to depart. I'm helping to train a new stallion."

I stepped out of his way, "Be careful."

He nodded, and laughed, "I will." He went down the stairs, and I went up.

I shoved the huge wooden doors open and walked in. Gandalf, Aragorn, Pippin, Merry, and others were talking with King Théoden.

"There was no lie in Pippin's eyes. A fool, but an honest fool he remains. He told Sauron nothing of Frodo and the Ring. We've been strangely fortunate. Pippin saw in the Palantír a glimpse of the enemy's plan. Sauron moves to strike the city of Minas Tirith. His defeat at Helm's Deep showed our enemy one thing. He knows the Heir of Elendil has come forth. Men are not as weak as he supposed. There is courage still, strength perhaps to challenge him. Sauron fears this. He will not risk the peoples of Middle Earth uniting under one banner. He will raze Minas Tirith to the ground before he sees a king return to the throne of Men. If the beacons of Gondor are lit, Rohan must be ready for war," Gandalf was saying. I walked up to Aragorn and the others.

"Tell me; why should we ride to the aid of those who did not come to ours? What do we owe Gondor?" Théoden asked.

Aragorn stepped up, "I will go."

"No!" Gandalf snapped.

"They must be warned!" Aragorn said.

"They will be," Gandalf says, and turns to Aragorn, "You must come to Minas Tirith by another road. Follow the river. Look to the black ships." Gandalf looked at the rest of us, "Understand this: Things are now in motion that cannot be undone. I ride for Minas Tirith. And I won't be going alone."

Gandalf turns to me, and motions for me to follow him. Pippin and Merry came after us. I was confused. Where was I going? What was happening? Gandalf threw some food into a small bag, and left the Hall.

"Of all the inquisitive Hobbits, Peregrin Took, you are the worst! Hurry, hurry!" Gandalf said, as we made our way to the stables.

"Where are we going?" Pippin asked. Merry turned to him, "Why did you look? Why do you always have to look?"

"I don't know. I can't help it," Pippin said. I left the two friends some privacy, and went into the stables.

"Alex, saddle up Arroch. Quickly now!" Gandalf said. I hastily saddled up Arroch. I was nervous. Where was I going? Aragorn ran into the barn, "Gandalf! Why are you taking her?"

Gandalf turned to Aragorn, "I could use some extra protection. And I need someone to watch Pippin while I talk with the Steward."

"Gondor is at risk for attack! I will come instead! It is not safe for her," Aragorn argued.

"Alex is not safe anywhere!" Gandalf yelled. He picked up Pippin, and got up onto Shadowfax. He rode out into the village.

I led Arroch out of his stall. Aragorn stood at the doorway, his face blank.

"Alex, don't go. I won't be able to protect you," Aragorn said.

"I have to! I'm sorry, Aragorn. I.." My voice broke and tears stung my eyes.