A Pitiful Goodbye

Start from the beginning

Faded red eyes met her brown ones, startling her even more with her odd appearances. The scarlet orbs looked extremely tired, with white tendrils travelling all across the iris, ghostly white eyelashes and brows framing them

Mabel looked down and slowly retired her hand, making Casey realize she has been staring without saying nothing. Before she could entirely put down her hand, the brunette swiftly took it and shook it.

She kind off expected how cold it felt.

"Mabel" The foreigner said with a light smile.

"Casey" The other greeted her.

Casey could have sworn how the other girl's left eye twitched for a second before she quickly pulled away. Frowning, she was ready to immerse in her thoughts again, but Mabel's sad yet kind voice echoed in her ears.

"I'm aware of my odd looks, so sorry for disturbing you." Before Casey could deny it, she gave her another smile, crooked but warm— But I promise, albinism is not contagious." She said, winking.

The brunette giggled softly. As she was about to respond to the comment, the teacher commanded them to be quiet. Because of it, an hour later, both of them were communicating through little pieces of paper with words and drawings. She didn't know how to explain it, but there was something about her expression, the way her eyes looked so distant yet how gently she expressed herself that made Casey feel comfortable around her, something that hadn't happened in a long time.

For once, neither of them minded not to be alone.

"Happy birthday, Claire!"

The room was filled with joy and laughter as the entire art class celebrated one of the brightest student's birthday, Claire Benoit. While everybody were chatting and taking pictures, two girls sat silently on a dark corner, away from the windows and the sunlight they let in. Casey and Mabel were just enjoying the silence and warmness of each other's presence — their friendship was based on giving each other space and talking about things both of them were comfortable about. Because of it, they knew little about each other apart from their names but, for now, it was enough.

As the day came to an end, the crowd started slowly to disappear as everyone headed home. At the end, only five people remained in the building.

"I have to search the bus' route" Casey said, pulling out her phone.

"Can nobody come and pick you up?" Mabel asked, arching a brow. The way Casey's face became visibly ghostly made her regret ever asking.

"Our car is broken." She said without further explanation.

Liiaaar...

Mabel's eye twitched as she quickly reached for the small plastic bottle inside her purse. Without thinking about it, she swallowed one of the pills from inside the container as she tried not to look at her friend. The faster she silenced them, the better.

She thinks she can quiet us down. The rats will eat her up again.

Funny. Funny. Funny. What a funny girl.

She would be nothing without us!

What will she do once she finds out we'll never leave her alone?

"Mabel?" The light tap on her shoulder made her suck a breath, placing a hand on her template as she realized she had been quiet for too long.

"I'm sorry, I got lost in my thoughts." She reassured her with a gentle smile. "Could you also look up the night route? For the bus."