Nine

Avery's P.O.V

My heart just sinks. Even thinking of what it was like there causes me pain.

"Well, I guess it all started when my father left, I never really knew him or met or properly, I certainly don't remember him. I wasn't like the other kids, I wanted to be alone. I was teased for my hair, they would call me bones because I was so thin.

My mother and I didn't have the perfect relationship, at the age of 7, I left her to go and live with my Dad's parents. They were the loveliest people, they introduced me to music, took me on holiday. I was happy with them. Until my grandad died. Everything in the house reminded me of him. His passing had made my grandmother bitter. She would forbid me from leaving the house, and would abuse me when she lost her temper. Soon enough I was taken away from her and sent to live with my aunt and uncle.

They were okay, their kids however, were vicious and cruel to me, they would tell people at school to ignore me, make rumours about me. They made school hell for me.

Soon enough, I ran away from them and went to live with my older cousin Max. I was 17 at the time, almost 18, just about to finish school. I came home one day with a boy, Tommy was his name. I remember him coming over for dinner one night for a double date (Max and his girlfriend Amy, and Tommy and I). I went out to collect the food we ordered and when I came back both of the boys were bruised and bleeding, still swinging at each other. Amy was no where to be seen.

Later I'd found out Tommy had cheated on me with Amy. I wasn't really heartbroken, but it hurt.

After all the drama I had to move in with my mothers parents," I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes. Mikey held his arms open and I crawled into his lap before continuing.

"I've lived with them for the past few months. I didn't have the best time with them either. They usually would just ignore me, but some days they would remind me how pathetic and cruel I am. I'd torn apart my family, lost my friends, and definitely had no future ahead of me.

I'm just glad that I was never able to go out, accept to work, I was able to save up my money and find an apartment here. This is my fresh start." By the time I finished speaking, I couldn't breathe, I just burst into tears and Mikey held me close and stroked me hair. He too was crying.

"Shhhh, Ave it's okay, you're not pathetic and your future is so bright okay I love you."

"Mikey can I ask you something? "

"Anything Ave,"

"What am I to you?" I held my breath afraid of his answer.

"I'd like to think we're best friends, and we will be for the rest of our lives."

"In that case I love you too" I was relieved to say the least.

"I have something to tell you" I mumbled.

"Yeah me too."

"Shall I go first?" I giggle.

He nods innocently.

"I'm thinking of finding a room mate, this place seems pretty lonely."

He chuckles, "I would offer to move in myself, but I have my place with the lads."

I sigh before questioning him.

"What was it you wanted to tell me?"

A/N

Yay I updated again! I will probably update more often now because I have a break from school. Hope you guys are good 🍍