Chapter 11

“Scar don’t you think you should tone it down a bit with the Royals.” It is amazing how conversation can move so quickly from one topic, upcoming parties, to something totally different and the sudden change catches me off guard.

“What do you mean?” I ask Amy who is lying on Mandy’s bedroom floor propped up on her elbows. Unlike my room Mandy’s room is immaculate, everything has a designated place and everything is in that place, God forbid you make a mess because you may not get out alive, it is decorated in shades of pinks and purples and there isn’t a cuddly toy in sight, she doesn’t like anything sentimental or Disney. How we became best friends is a mystery.

“Well it is one thing to talk like that to us when we are having a laugh but to actually speak to them in such a manner is totally different, you could get into trouble.” Catching on I realise she is referring to my encounter with Liam earlier today and probably my conversation with Hunter yesterday as well, I laugh slightly, this must have been playing on her mind since I told them of my encounters with the two brothers..

“I’m not worried about the Prince.” I say tucking my legs under me at one end of Mandy’s bed, the Prince being our name for the almighty Liam.

“I don’t know Scar, I bet he can get pretty angry when he wants to.” Jenny chips in from her spot next to Amy, momentarily lifting her gaze from the magazine in front of her.

“I don’t doubt it.” I reply. “I saw a glimpse of that this afternoon and that upset me enough.”

“He’s an idiot.” Nickie chips in as she reclines on the chaise longue positioned under the window.

“Can you not think of a better word then that?” Summer says in disgust nearly falling of her perch on the windowsill above where Nickie is lying. “Dick, toss pot, butt licker, anything other than idiot?” I burst out laughing at Summer’s completely serious face.

“I agree Nick.” I say backing up Summer, who stares down at Nickie like she has three heads. “Idiot doesn’t quite cut it. I call you guys idiots all the time and I love you, he is one of the Royals and as such deserve a superior insult.”  There is a moment of silence in which Nick offers no other insult and I sigh giving up, despite her tough exterior she is can sometimes be extremely kind hearted. “Anyway on another topic what days for the one on ones have you been given Mand?”

“Erm Wednesday afternoon and Friday morning, you?”

“Tuesday morning and Friday evening. What about you Nick?”

“Monday afternoon and Friday Afternoon. He seems to have us all on Friday, lucky boy.” She says with a wink and click of her piercing against her teeth to punctuate it.

“More like busy guy, he doesn’t seem to get any free time.” Amy muses.

I bet you girls are so jealous right now.” I say in a faux smug voice, cutting of any reply that Nickie was working on.

“Oh gosh yes! I so wish I had some one on one time with that boy. What I would do to him.” Coming from anyone else it would sound like a provocative statement however I can hear the sarcasm hidden in her tone and by the flash in her eyes when she says the last bit it wouldn’t surprise me if she is imagining bodily harm.

“You do know that if one of you ends up with that boy I don’t think I am going to be able to get through the wedding reception without getting drunk and making a scene, which will include me saying some pretty inappropriate things.” Is Jenny’s intelligent contribution. Once upon a time, for shifters the mating ritual was enough to mean a bond between two people for the rest of their lives, and all communities would recognise that fact, however, because of the humans, over time, we have also adopted the tradition of marriages. This is only because the bonding between the couples is then recognised by all walks of life and also who doesn’t love a wedding?  And for some reason it is a huge deal in this pack and some of them could rival the weddings in My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding. It is safe to say if or when I get married, it won’t be like that, tradition or not.