Chapter 26

“So what do you want to do now?” Liam asks as I unfold myself from his embrace. I look to the clock on the wall, shockingly it says it is half two, most of the time having been eaten up by the drive here.

“I think we are out of time.” I say regretfully.

“Do you have something you need to get back to?”

“No.”

“Then there is no time limit. Hang out with me Scarlett… and not because you have to.”

“Okay.” I say nodding my head. “What shall we do?” His face breaks out into a boyish grin but I don’t have long to admire it before my body betrays me and my stomach growls at what seems to be full volume and my face burns red.

“I think that decides it for us.” He says with a laugh at my expense. “Let’s go get food.”

He disappears behind a door for a moment and when he returns he is wearing the same dark jeans but has changed his shirt from the check to a smart plain back shirt and has picked up a jacket. I look down at my own appearance.

“Am I underdressed?” I ask suddenly self-conscious.

“You look beautiful.” He says reassuringly before he sweeps me back into the elevator and punches a button on the keypad, when the doors swish shut he turns to me. “So what do you feel like eating?” I can’t decide whether this relaxed version of Liam is just an act, he did say he was still angry, I mean how long can he keep this up this façade of fun whilst all he really wants to do is to shake some sense into me? But if Liam is in a good mood, act or not, then I am not going to spoil it and I am not going push the issue.

“Do you like Chinese food?” The doors swing open again but we aren’t in the garage as I had suspected but a shining white marble lobby. I trail behind Liam towards the door admiring the chandelier, the large potted plants and the vast number of mailboxes along one wall. “If there are thirteen floors and an apartment a floor why are there so many letterboxes?”

“There are only three apartments that take up a whole floor the rest are the smaller, one bedroom, types and there is about three of those per floor on the first nine floors.”

“That’s a lot of neighbours.” He holds the door open for me and we emerge onto the street, the bustle from before is still evident and people have to give us a wide berth as we stand on the side of pavement.

“And I don’t know any of them.” I raise an eyebrow. “This isn’t like the pack, in town not everyone knows everyone. People pretty much keep to themselves.”

“Heaven.” I say with a grin. “So what’s your opinion on Chinese food?”

“Sounds good” He looks left and then right. “This way.” He grabs my good hand and slides me across to his other side so that my left arm is shielded from pushing pedestrians by his body, his arm stays firmly wrapped around my waist as he ushers me down the street, I can’t help the small smile that tilts the corner of my mouth, if anyone were to leave their own personal bubble and notice us it would very much look like we were a couple.

Walking through the city is pretty much a new experience to me and I crane my neck in all directions in an attempt to take in every detail of it. One thing that I notice straight away is that grey is the main colour, where back home green is everywhere, the buildings stretch up into the sky blocking out the sunlight to those of us back down on earth, like a tree would block the sun from a flower, and because of this it is colder here then back home and just as I think it goose bumps jump up across my arms like I triggered the reaction. Like a true gentleman from a film Liam drapes his jacket over my shoulders without breaking stride and smiles down at me. “We’re nearly there now.”