North Wagga- Australia

CHRISTOPHER CAMPBELL

The brown paper wrapped parcel is perched on the kitchen table. Clem and I sit opposite each other, neither of us speaking and neither in a hurry to open the parcel. The knock at the door had been unexpected and when I first saw the young lad wearing a brown speckled peak hat, long socks and, despite the cool weather of September, brown shorts I had thought the worst. I thought we had lost George as well.

Having handed over his package the boy stands at the door looking conspicuous, not knowing which way to look. He will know of us, Campbell's and heard of our loss and to be honest, even if he hasn't of heard of us he knows the reason for his delivery. The boy studies the room and his eyes rest on a photograph of two young men in uniform. He tries to drag his eyes away but can only stare, probably wondering which one of them isn't returning. His instructions would be to stay until the contents have been checked and signed for, so the boy continues to wait. Eventually, I reach forward and untie the twine bow that secures the box while Clem quietly reads aloud the accompanying letter.

Dear Sir,

I have forwarded this day per registered package the personal effects of NX22020, Private Campbell, C.J. (deceased) as emmerated hereunder;-

1. Pr. Pyjamas

1. Pr. Swim Trunks

1. Bandana

1. Hair Brush

All articles dispatched from this office are securely fastened and sealed, therefore before opening it is asked that you ensure that the package has not been tampered with.

It is requested that any discrepancies be immediately brought to notice.

I shall be much obliged if you will kindly let me know of their safe arrival by signing and

returning the enclosed receipt slip.

I nod to Clem confirming that all the items are there. I take the letter from her trembling hand and sign my name. As an afterthought I write, 'Thank you' at the bottom. A strange thing to write in this instance but I feel sorry for the poor bugger who has to compile these packages. How many of these has he already done? Does it become easier with each package? It must, after all to them it is just a name on an ever growing list but for my family, Clive is our world.

Clem reaches into to the icebox and retrieves one of her famous homemade ginger beers. She has been able to stockpile a few bottles prior to the ration allocations and now guards them- saving them for special occasions. This isn't a day to celebrate but Clem feels compelled to thank the boy for bringing part of her son home. Her shaky hands pass the bottle to the boy and he pretends not to see the tears trickling from her eyes. He smiles his appreciation and mumbles his condolences.

NOTES

The  message, including Chris' 'Thank you' are part of the families collection. It is noted that the cigarette case is not listed.