Chapter Eight

Começar do início

"Look what I found!" one of the elders called out, oozing an inappropriate level of joy.

Certain that nothing good would follow, Kao turned towards the voice heralding a discovery. Instantly, the crowd spit out Mirena, who fell haphazardly at his feet.

"Seems my gift has betrayed me..." Mirena climbed to her feet. "It led them right to me."Her words trembled

"Most of them have snouts; they would have sniffed you out anyway." Kao offered to put her at ease.

For a moment, they were the only ones in the room. But the glare from Garro's fixation on the interaction reminded them that they had a vicious audience. And the dangerous cocktail of his disgust and jealousy only made the situation worse.

"Why are you here tempter?!" With lighting speed, Garro appeared almost nose to nose with Mirena.

"I-I heard the rumors, and I wanted to know for myself." Unnerved and overwhelmed as she tried to filter out the myriad of intense emotions circling about her.

"I'll tell you why you're here." Garro turned away from the object of his affection. "You've broken one of the rules of the Unknown." His accusation rumbled loud enough to move the Forevers and the Unknowns. "We all know the laws, and we all know the consequences for rebellion." He continued with his mock trial.

Tensions were high, and though the three had conquered the pit together, it was clear that the challenge here would be far greater. He didn't know what was next, but he would accept whatever punishment he was dealt. Although not able to decipher if his concern for Mirena was real or conjured, he didn't want to be the cause of her demise.

"Garro, this is a spectacle to the Unknowns, The Fallen One, and Seth." Kao wielded an accusation of his own. "You are my under lord. I have failed my assignment, which has caused you embarrassment, and I should be punished. You have no reason to involve Mirena. She has broken no law."

Kao had countered all of Garro's efforts to mock him with one simple statement. The scrutiny shifted among the onlookers who were growing bored with his antics. And Mirena's adoration of Kao was as visible as the scales of her true form.

In that moment it was evident. There was only one way to regain control. The stage was set and someone had to be an example. With the two in his sights, Garro formally relayed his indictments.

"Mirena, you are cited with using your gift to distract and derail a dark warrior. You are guilty of fraternizing!--"

The other under lords gasped. They were fully prepared to pass judgment on Kao. After all he failed his assignment; there was no other proof needed. But this was an unexpected turn of events.

Mirena trembled. Her eyes fixed on Kao as if pleading for his help. Even in passing his judgment, Garro was the furthest thing from her mind. Kao's reaction, however, was fueled with pure rage.

"You can't have what you want, so you throw a tantrum like a child." he barked as he approached Garro. "You are a disgrace to the ranks!" Kao's words came across as if Garro was his underling and he the under lord. But the fact was that couldn't be farther from the truth.

"Kao, you have failed to carry out your orders-"

"You weak, emotional excuse for a leader!" Kao continued his tirade.

"But I am your leader, and the punishment for you both is death!" Garro continued over the interruption.

At an impasse, Garro's relentless desire for triumph led him to use Kao's blinding rage against him. Though they stood face to face, he maneuvered past the formidable warrior, his sights set on Mirena. She was the key to Kao's suffering. He wrapped his arms around her to restrain her movement then covered her mouth and pressed his forearm against her throat.

Mirena's eyes fixed on Kao, still pleading for his help.

Garro's eyes filled with demise as he began to constrict against her serpent like skin.

Mirena's eyes widened as she was confined to the petty under lord's clutches.

Kao was unwilling to let this be his last memory of her. He charged the two entangled bodies as if executing a Super Bowl play. The force of his strength ripped them apart, which sent Garro tumbling in one direction and freed Mirena from his crushing grasp. Garro climbed to his feet, fuming, his body temperature climbing as anger forced wrath through his veins.

"Witness the order of the Unknowns!" he declared to ensure that none of the onlookers intervened. He set his sights on Kao, who approached a dazed Mirena and closed in on his victim. Proof of his immeasurable fury emanated from a flame at his fist, and Garro plunged it through his target.

The death sentence was carried out by incineration. Kao and Mirena collapsed into each other's arms as the burning void spread across the demon's chest. In this moment, this final moment of vulnerability, Kao's touch yielded more than just his desires. She read the knowledge of the Unknowns he'd gained and even that which was concealed from them all.

"Brothers!" She released to the amazement of them both. But then it all made sense. "If I'd have known this would happen, I would have used my charisma on. Just for a little while." Mirena caressed Kao's face, one last indulgence in their attraction as they prepared to be separated by more than just clans.

And just like that, there were two.

****************

Don't forget to vote, share your feedback/suggestions in the comments and subscribe to http://www.twcolvin.com