CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE.

En başından başla

The first thing that Hannah noticed when she walked down the hallway was the fact that there were two new men stood outside of Michael's rooms. She eyed them up curiously before recognising one of men from the betting shop. Hannah had only seen him briefly but he was a lot bigger than the other man who was stood in his place only a few hours previously.

"Who are you?" The other man asked, one that Hannah didn't recognise. He was most likely from one of the factories which is why she didn't recognise him. He was a huge man, and could easily take Hannah down, but she wasn't afraid of him either. It was her fiancé in there and she wasn't going to be kept out by someone that she didn't know. "I said, who are you?"

"I'm Michael's bloody fiancé so you will let me in there right now." Hannah looked at the one guy that she did recognise, hoping that his memory jogged on and that he also remembered Hannah.

"She is," he confirmed. "Go through."

Hannah eyed up the big bloke, not that it did much, Hannah was a mouse to him. "Thank you very much. I don't expect to hear that question again, understood?"

Michael was sat up slightly at this point, his face rocking a big graze from where he had fell to the floor after the bullets had hit him but that would clear up quickly. She couldn't see the full extent of his injuries due to bandages but she had a rough idea, she had seen enough gunshot wounds during her time at the hospital. Michael's face was twisted with pain every time he moved or knocked his leg against the bed. It was heart-breaking for Hannah but she was used to it at this point and all of her sympathy had gone out of the window the moment the cocaine rolled out of his pockets and onto the floor in the waiting area. God knows what people would have thought if they had walked past and seen it happen in front of their eyes. It would only be another controversy to add to Hannah's long list.

"Why can't you men fight with your hands?" Hannah asked as she stood at the end of Michael's bed, her eyes flickering through the medical notes that the nurses had left out. "It's always got to be guns with you 'gangsters', hardly ever fists."

Michael moved further up the bed so his back was rested against the metal headboard, it was uncomfortable against his back but it gave him a better view of Hannah which he appreciated. He had missed the sight, and attitude, of his fiancée.

"Are you still angry at me?" he dared to ask, bracing himself for a shouting match but Hannah remained quiet and ignored his question. "Hannah, just stop avoiding the question and answer, please. I don't want yesterday to come between us."

Hannah rolled her eyes at Michael's comment. "It's not just yesterday though, is it? You've been lying to me for a few weeks now and I'm angry about it, and I have a right to be angry." Hannah didn't once look up from the medical notes, she wasn't going to forgive him, not yet anyway. "I just don't understand why you didn't tell me about the cocaine? I could have helped you, or got you some help from somewhere. There was no need to hide it from me and you know that but instead you decided to keep it to yourself and you probably would have forever or until you died from an overdose!"

Michael shook his head. "That wasn't going to happen. I was going to tell you, I swear down. Things were just getting too much and I needed something to keep me awake at night, that way I didn't think about everything that had happened. I didn't dream about all of the bad shit that went off."

"You had me!" Hannah shouted, throwing the book down on the end of the bed, only just missing Michael's injured legs. "I could have helped you through all that, I could have stayed with you at night. You choose those drugs over me, your own fiancée and how do you think that makes me feel? Am I that bad that you can't come and talk to me when you have a problem?"