Chapter Three | Like A K-Drama

Start from the beginning

"You were right, Mother. It really is delicious." Hearing his words, Fan Yue smiled again. The maidservant who had gone to get the clothes returned and stood with those robes in hand, waiting for further instructions.

Fan Yue took the clothes and handed them over to her son while saying, "Go and wear this; ask the servants to help you if it's too difficult."

Fan Hai shook his head to deny the offer and entered a spare room to change. Before going back out, he washed his face to appear fresher. He exited the room with a smile and waited for his mother to praise him.

Fan Yue gestured for him to come closer and reached out to straighten his clothes at certain places, "My son is so handsome," she praised, caressing Fan Hai's hair, "You look just like your Father." her voice quietened by the end and Fan Hai's heart hurt when his mother turned away from him. He knew his mother was distressed and all of the blame fell on his father's head.

Desperate to distract his mother, Fan Hai tugged his mother's hand and began, "Mother, don't you feel bored sitting here? Let's go outside and stroll around the garden!"

Her smile returned and she nodded, "Wait for a few minutes for me to finish my tea. Don't forget to finish yours, Hai'er." Fan Hai begrudgingly nodded and picked up his cup, only to gulp it down in one go. His gag reflex activated and he turned his face away with a hand clamping his mouth shut.

With watery eyes and a pale face, Fan Hai and his mother left to roam around in the garden. Fan Hai's little hand was held by Fan Yue's bigger ones and he would swing their hands together as they walked. The sun was casting its warmth on them, and the air was pleasantly cool; this contrast made the whole experience wholesome and a permanent smile rest on both of their faces. A group of maids were walking right behind them - carrying shawls in case their masters felt cold, snacks, and a bunch of books.

Soon, they reached an opening with a table and a couple of chairs in the middle; this was where Fan Yue had wanted to come. It was at the edge of the garden and she pulled her son with her and made him sit beside her. The maids stood on the side, not even daring to take a peek.

With a book in hand, both of them sat reading. Fan Hai held a book full of poems that his tutor had told him to learn; the task of reading it wasn't hard but learning the meaning of each and every one of them was frustrating. He would turn and ask the meaning of a poem when he couldn't understand it after trying several times. Their interaction was warm and harmonious.

The estate had become busy as time passed. Servants were moving around completing their duties. If they came close to Fan Yue and her group, they would bow in respect as she was the Main Wife of the Master. Soon, Fan Hai picked up a series of disturbances coming towards him. He lifted his head and saw a group of women in light blue robes coming towards them.

The woman in the middle was like a swan walking amongst ducklings. Her long hair went down her back and her pearly white skin was like precious jade. Her phoenix eyes were surrounded by thick eyelashes and enhanced her already fairy-like beauty. She had a porcelain teapot in her small hands. She smiled as she neared them and the whispers intensified.

Fan Hai glanced at her, scanned her up and down, and scoffed. He could easily tell she had caked her face with white powder and rough because her face looked uneven. Other people had a different opinion though, for them, she was a fairy walking in the mortal world. Fan Hai disliked her presence as soon as he saw her because when the ruckus started, her mother had stiffened after looking at the ugly woman and had turned away.

Fan Hai's eyes narrowed a little and he bit his lower lip in thought.

The ugly woman reached them and kneeled, "This servant is here to serve Mistress as per the Master's orders. This servant has brewed some special tea for Mistress, and this servant hopes that Mistress would be kind enough to taste it." Her voice was like bells - clear and soothing.