She shuddered, and shook her head to rid herself of all these unpleasant thoughts.

It was then she noticed the doorman staring at her, a rather flummoxed expression on his kindly, ageing face.

"Are you alright, Mademoiselle?" He ventured cautiously, in his thick French accent.

Darcy approached him, giving a strained smile. "Hey, no. Not really. I don't suppose you've seen a gu-- I mean, a man. Really tall, dark hair, kind of longish..." She used her hands to emphasise her description. "His suit might be wet. Um....he's slim--"

"Ah yes!" He interrupted, as a look of recognition dawned in his green eyes. "I saw such a man. Tall, wet clothes, I'm surprised he wasn't dripping puddles on the floor. I told him, "Monsieur, you will catch your death out here like that, in this cold" and he answered me in French, "J'en doute fortement!"

"What does that mean?" Darcy asked, feeling her heart rate increasing. "And where did he go? Did you see?"

The man gave a small shrug of his shoulders. "It means, 'I strongly doubt it.' Which is strange, no? He went off then. That way." He indicated to Darcy's left.

She sprang forward and wrapped her arms around the elderly man, squeezing him appreciatively, and even kissing his cheek, making him chuckle with delight.

"Thank you! You're a life-saver!" She took a step back and read the name badge pinned to the front of his smart navy blue uniform. "...Pierre! Thank you! Thank you!"

Turning, she hurried away as fast as she could -- heels permitting -- along the beautifully lit, Champs-Élysées.

She knew she stood very little chance of catching up with Loki -- damn his long legs -- but she had to try. Only if all else failed, would she throw the towel in and make the dreaded call to Jane.

It felt like she walked forever, the famously long, bustling road seemed to stretch on and on, never-endingly.
Funny how it hadn't seemed so long when she had walked it earlier in the day, arm-in-arm with Loki.
The world had seemed a different place then. A warmer, happier place.
Now everything was a complete mess.
That was tender, affectionate Loki.
Tonight she had witnessed firsthand, just how fierce he could be, and what he was capable of when provoked. She had seen yet another side to him. Which had undoubtedly frightened her. But not badly enough to stop her from searching for him. Or to stop loving him.

Eventually she saw the Arc de Triomphe up ahead, and took a moment to appreciate the architectural beauty of the famous monument.
Once she reached it, she knew she'd be completely at a loss, not knowing which avenue to take. Loki could've gone in any direction.

She hung her head, silently cursing herself for her carelessness. If she'd have been more vigilant in her duties, none of this would have happened. She should have kept the controller on her at all times.
The problem was she had trusted Loki. Ironically, the one thing Tony had warned her about. And Jane too, to some extent. And she had dismissed them flippantly, arguing that she wasn't stupid or gullible enough to be taken-in by his false charm.

But she had been.

And that stung. It stung like a bastard.

Hot tears of regret suddenly sprung from her eyes. She stopped, taking off her glasses to roughly wipe them away, no doubt smudging her eyes in the process. Making her look like a toddler that had gotten at her mom's makeup. Her nose was beginning to run too, because of the perpetual cold. Sniffling, she lifted her head....