Chapter Three

Frieda hurriedly put on her make-up, then wiped it off and did it over. She glanced at her watch, nervous about being late, because she felt it was important to set a good example to the crew. She was almost never late, but today she was because she changed outfits three times to look her best for the new guy. 

A big fat plus was that he was from Hollywood! With all the European sophistication and sometime derision about the States, the continentals still harbored envy for the American lifestyle and success stories. Also, Frieda was single in a country almost as strange to her as for Billy, and maybe, just maybe they could get something on. 

Frieda was an aging party girl, never married and just past forty. Not bad looking but never a knockout, the sands of time made her worry she didn't have much longer to nab a companion. She was continually on the lookout and Billy was new meat. Poor guy, she almost felt, as she tucked in her stylish satin T-shirt into her shiny black leather pants. Then, she threw her ever-present mobile phone into her bag and ran out the door. 

Csaba was waiting in a company car, eyes widening when he saw her. "Meeting someone for a long lunch?" he teased, to which she smiled nondescriptly. 

Finally she responded. "Is it so bad to want to look nice?" 

"You never tried to look this nice before," he said, causing her to frown. 

"Just drive," she commanded, giving him a dismissive wave of her hand. He looked at her long and hard and she matched his gaze equally. Then the two broke into giggles, as he pulled the car into traffic. 

The cab with the writers pulled up to the studio, which had recently been converted by a Dutch production outfit from its former incarnation as a Russian tractor showroom. Frieda and Csaba arrived just behind them, and as Jeremy paid with a company supplied taxi voucher, everyone else emerged from their vehicles. 

"You're not as tall as I thought," was Frieda's welcoming shot to Billy, who grimaced a bit, as he was just under five ten. "I thought everyone in Hollywood was tan and 183 cm," she said, which was metric-speak for approximately six feet. 

"You haven't seen too many Tom Cruise movies, have you? I'm taller than he is," Billy retorted, stretching himself up, which made him tower over Frieda, who was only 160 cm -- about five three. 

Frieda smiled. She liked the challenge and strength of a man who could fight back -- especially one with an unsigned contract. They all talked a few minutes and then Csaba, eyeing the potential chemistry between Frieda and Billy, which signaled there would be none for Billy and him, reminded everyone it was time to go to work. 

As Billy went through the complex he was shocked at how shabby it seemed. He knew it was just getting started, but it was Spartan to the core. When he entered the writers' room, it didn't get any better. There were a couple of long tables with three computers and two printers, plus four small file cabinets and a tacky set of shelves. This was the hub for the show's creative team. 

Mollie began checking her email while Jeremy took him aside, handing him a large binder to read. "Obviously you have to catch up," he said, explaining they'd already written thirteen weeks of stories. Because of the continual changeover of story editors, Jeremy was the only link from day one. "And don't worry about doing too much; just get up to speed," he said. 

It was comforting, and Billy was charmed by Jeremy's warmth as he sat down in the courtyard, which jutted outside their office. He yawned a bit, still jet lagged to the core, and started to read as fast as his tired eyes permitted, occasionally impeded by Mollie, who'd switched from her email to chatting loudly on her cell phone. 

He decided to get a cup of coffee, so he meandered down the hall and found the cubicle housing the coffeepot, water boiler for tea, and fax machine and copier. The condiments were disheveled and God only knew how sanitary. There was no refrigerator and the "milk" was a liquid creamer concoction that rumor had it could last a very long time. He inserted a package of Sweet 'n Low, part of a supply he'd brought with him, and decided to explore the cavernous accommodations.