III

Week Two
Arcadia Oaks High, Earth

Krel's POV

I walk through the gates of Prison Education with confidence. There's been no sign of Daxxon yet; I might just survive this delson after all!

As I stroll through the hallway of lockers and start heading past the Janitor's Closet, I suddenly feel a rough hand grab me by one of the straps of my backpack and yank me into the closet!

On instinct, I remove my serrator and point it threateningly at my attacker, only to stare back at ... myself.

"What??" I lower the weapon ever so slowly. No. This isn't possible. Am I dreaming??

Caught unawares, my attacker strikes me in the head, and I see black.

@@@

Aja's POV

I wait in Spanish class patiently for Krel. Where is he? I glance at the big, round ticking contraption on the wall. He has only two mekrons left until class begins--

The door bangs and I see Krel march in. He ignores the stares of the humans around him and sits at his desk calmly, which is in front of me.

As Señor Uhl begins his lesson, Krel never adverts his attention away from the class and he never glances at me. Peculiar. He's never interested in any of his lessons besides Math and Science. Is he feeling well? I'd better go check on him.

I gently tap his shoulder from behind. He doesn't respond. I poke him harder. Finally, he looks over his shoulder impatiently. "Yes, Sister?"

"Are you feeling alright? Are you sick?"

"I'm fine! I'm just trying to pay attention to the class. Stop distracting me," he snaps.

I recoil a little. "Since when do you like school?"

"Ever since Daxxon waltzed into my life and embarrassed me in front of the whole of Prison Education! I'm not letting her take away my mark on this Dump Heap planet!" He turns back around again. As he does, I hear a faint mechanical whirring when his head rotates to face the board. Right now he seems more ... machine than man.

"Ok ..." My voice trails off.

@@@

Krel doesn't get better after that. Out of nowhere he starts drawing attention to himself more than usual!

"Mr. Tarron, how many times have I told you you're not allowed to eat in the common room—" Ms. Janeth scolds him from across the hall.

"Wait, what? Sorry I can't hear you! Lenora? Lenora I'm losing you!" He speaks rudely, strolling away.

She gasps, her eyes burning fiercely (a rare sight). "Only I'm allowed to call myself Lenora!"

He ignores her. "Sorry, what was that? Speak louder please." He pretends to trip, spilling his chicken curry all over the once-clean hallway floor! "Oops! I'm so sorry, Lenora! Let me clean that up!"

Instead he covers his hands in curry and wipes them onto lockers, chairs and tables!

"Krel, no!!!" I exclaim. "What about the three rules of being Inconspicuous?!"

"Krel Tarron!!!! You have five weeks of detention!!!!" Señor Uhl bellows.

"You'll have to catch me first!" And he takes off down the hall, running his hands along the walls!

"Get back here, young man!" Señor Uhl demands, racing after him.

@@@

The situation gets worse with every mekron that passes! From trashing the Teacher's Lounge to causing Food Fights in the cafeteria to vandalising the school and insulting the humans here--I don't even recognise my own brother anymore!!!