Pr: ELARA

Arcadia Oaks
USA, Earth

Elara's POV

I stand underneath a towering oak tree, its many branches and leaves casting eerie shadows across the ground.

I glance up at the full moon in the starry sky above, clouds racing by. Where is he? I told him to come at this exact location at this exact time. It's currently 3:46AM in the town known as Arcadia Oaks. Maybe I shouldn't have recruited a human to do the job--

"I'm here! I'm right here!" The light and quick footsteps of a figure can be heard from approximately 30 feet away. Within moments a thin, short boy of 15 years emerges from behind the oak tree, out of breath. He straightens out his dark green shirt and pushes his thick-framed glasses up his nose.

"Sorry I'm late!" He pants. "I had a lot of History homework I needed to catch up on and my mom won't let me out of the house past 8:00PM ... Wow. I-I mean I still can't believe I'm working as a super-spy agent for a cool, robotic alien!--can we please take a selfie?! I've never actually taken a selfie with one before and I really want to remember this moment before I forget--"

I hold him back with an arm and grab his phone with my other, crushing the electronic device in my bare hand.

"Aww man!" He moans. "That was my last phone!"

"Do you have it?" I ask him impatiently.

"Y-yeah of course," he stammers, reaching into his pocket with a trembling hand. "Right here." He offers me a Polaroid.

"You can't tell anyone about this," I say to Pepperjack.

"But can I at least tell Steve? I promise he's really trustworthy! We even made a band together! We're known as the Creepslayerz and—"

I grab the collar of his shirt and lift him into the air, bringing him face-to-face with me. "If one word slips from your lips, I'll cut out your tongue."

"Whoa. You're really pretty for an alien—"

"Got it?"

"S-sure. Got it." He gives me a thumbs up. I lower him back to the ground and snatch the Polaroid from him, inspecting it closely.

It presents two Akiridions standing on the roof of a house in the faint glow of a sunset. The aliens in the polaroid aren't normal Akiridions. Aja and Krel of House Tarron. Of course. But to make sure the photo isn't bogus ...

I place the polaroid onto a nearby tree stump and grab ahold of the metallic plate covering my left eye socket before ripping the plate out. I take out my bionic eyeball and press the eyeball's pupil into the photograph.

Eli watches with me as the eyeball magnetically contorts out of its round shape, deforming and flattening itself into a square-like disk. I tap the centre of the disk and unfold the holographic dashboard, typing in a variety of cryptographic ciphers that no human can ever manage to do.

Finally, I throw both hands up and out to the sides, expanding the virtual screen into a cyberspace hologram of the scene in the polaroid with the Tarron twins. We watch and listen carefully as the moment in the photo starts replaying.

I don't know if I can fix the ship. Mother may never fly again. We may be stuck here forever.

... Have you ever heard the saying: "Home is where the heart is?"