Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

"I've been looking for explanations as to why you don't remember anything. Spells, potions, whatever I can find," he explained.

I opened the book and flipped through the worn, yellow pages. They crinkled as they moved, stiff and old. There was a bookmark marking a subject of interest. I smiled and looked up at Thomas, picking up the pressed leaf and displaying it for him.

"What?" he demanded. "Leaves can be bookmarks too!"

I set the wrinkled old leaf to the side and perused through the page it had previously marked. Thomas picked it up and twirled it around in his fingers. I could feel his stare beating down on my head as I read the passage once, twice, even a third time.

It was describing what seemed to be a fairly difficult spell that induced a tired state into a person, making them want to fall asleep for even centuries on end. I flipped to the next page, but the information of the spell ended there.

Holding a disappointed sigh, I handed the book back to Thomas. He watched me eagerly, but the expression soon faded when he saw my face. "No?"

"No."

Thomas set the leaf down as he took the book back from me. He flipped through the pages, searching for at least a tiny clue that would help us. His skimming through the book became faster, announcing his anger and impatience. His leg started to drum against the bed rapidly.

"Nothing!" he exclaimed after a few long minutes. "How is that possible?"

I didn't reply.

Thomas sighed, and the book disappeared. He rose to his feet before walking to the door. "Come on."

"Where are we going?" I asked, jumping off the bed and rushing over to the desk to set the necklace down on it before joining him at the doorway.

"Out for a walk. I can't stay cooped up in here for one more second."

I nodded as he led me through the hallways and down the staircases. "Okay, but why can't we just teleport to wherever we're going?"

"I'm not walking to get somewhere, Alex. I'm walking to clear my head." There was a pause, a hint of trepidation lingering in the air. Then, slowly, he said, "you don't have to come if you don't want to."

"No!" I quickly protested. "I do! Please, I really want to go with you!"

The unease disappeared from his stance, replaced by a smile. He opened the door for me manually. There was something a little more intimate and humans with the lack of magic used.

The air outside was warm, but not sticky. There was a soft breeze every now and again that would've been quite refreshing if it weren't for the feelings of the cold that were carried with it.

I don't think I ever want to be cold again.

Thomas's wings stretched out as he accepted the light of the sun, taking it all in. I never noticed how at peace he is while in the forest before, but it was a good look for him. I tried to absorb as much of the scene around him as much as I could as quickly as I could. There was something about it that was just so pure.

But Thomas must have caught me staring at him. He cocked an eyebrow at me. "What?"

"Nothing!" I responded quickly, feeling color rise to my cheeks. I turned away and started for the forest ahead of us, feet kicking up pebbles with an audible crunch.

Thomas fell in place behind me, and we soon found ourselves talking about nothing important.

"You know how I have a thing for birds?" he asked, pulling the thought put of nowhere.