Mismatched Compatibility (20)

Start from the beginning

Awe, how cute.

“Do you know how to aim?” Ethan asked me, bringing my attention back to him.

I flashed him a sheepish smile as I shook my head in answer. He nodded and signaled the bored staff to come closer. The gangly teenage boy looked like he'd rather be anywhere than working here.

“Mechanics?”

The staff boy gestured towards the targets, which were a stack of cans, as he explained, “Shoot one, small toy. Shoot two, medium sized toy. Shoot three, you get the big giraffe.”

Looked easy enough.

“Alright,” I said seriously. “Let me have a go.”

“You heard the lady,” Ethan told the staff boy, in a voice that sounded like he was trying to keep himself from laughing.

I ignored him and received the toy shotgun from the staff boy.

“I just shoot the target?” I inquired, making sure.

“Yep.”

“Take your time aiming,” advised Ethan. Then, he continued in a playful voice, “Don't be pressured trying to impress me.”

If truth be told, I was disappointed. I was sort of expecting Ethan to teach me like the guys in the movies did to the girls. But then I remembered, he probably didn't have a romantic bone in his body. He was seductive, yes. But not quite the romantic type.

“Breathe,” he whispered in my ear.

I had to stop the urge to jump in startle because he was suddenly very close to me. I hoped to all that was mighty that he didn't notice the goosebumps he caused on my arm.

I took a deep breath, following his advice. I made sure that I was on point before I pressed the trigger. However, I missed.

I pouted, while Ethan laughed out loud.

“Let me at 'em,” he said, taking the shotgun from me. He looked so confident as he aimed and shot at the target.

He missed, as well.

I laughed this time. “Were you trying to impress me?”

He grinned at my joke and shook his head in amusement. He didn't answer me, though. He tried shooting again, but failed. And again.

Finally, he sighed and gave up.

“Fuck, I suck at this,” he grunted, giving back the toy shotgun to the staff boy.

I, on the other hand, couldn't stop myself from laughing. I thought that since he was a basketball player, he would be quite good at aiming.

“Come on,” I said, grabbing his arm and pulling him away from the booth before he decided to have another go at it. “We've already proven how much we don't have a chance of winning any prizes from there. Let's just ride the roller coaster.”

“No way,” refused Ethan firmly. “I'm not gonna let you think I'm a shitty date that can't win you a stuffed toy.”

My goodness, the butterflies are going wild in my stomach. I think they're quickly making their way to my heart.

I couldn't help but smile. Ethan was being so adorably sweet and he didn't have a clue about it. Perhaps my judgment was getting tangled up. But during these past couple of days, I've come to know him immensely.

His way of saying it might come off as a little bit rude. But his intentions were nothing but thoughtful. His language was growing on me.

“You won a basketball game not a couple of hours ago,” I reminded him.