Stoneweaver - Chapter 25

Lord Narvon met them with a wide smile, as though expecting them for a while. It became a secondary concern next to Narvon's youth, though. He looked barely past his mid-twenties, so must be the son of the Lord Narvon Thortus had met almost two decades ago. Why hadn't he been informed of the change? The resemblance was uncanny, apart from the older Narvon's moustache and longer hair. He remembered being put off by the Lord's youth on their previous meeting.

His clothing also gave pause, the fabric different from the fish hides usually used for clothes. A gemstone pendant hanging about his neck drew some attention, an opaque purple stone he'd never seen before. He wondered what Stoneweaving property it provided.

Dismissing Kulth with a glance, Narvon led the four of them up to a dining room being hastily arranged.

They'd left their troops at the base of the hill, under watch of the guards, more of whom seemed to be wearing armour. While he'd rather have kept his men with him, Thortus had to maintain a degree of diplomacy, although his temper had begun to rise again with anticipation. Besides, they'd been mainly for appearances, and his true protection remained by his side. Despite how little concern Narvon exhibited at their presence.

On approaching the keep their attention had initially been taken by the statue standing vigil in front of it. Maybe fifteen foot tall, it seemed composed of a dark metal, and showed a warrior, complete in full armour, with sword and shield. Unlike the statues along the road, this one had been finely crafted.

It certainly drew attention, but the building, when he looked at it, proved no less impressive, being completely of stone, in irregular shaped blocks, which looked so different to the uniform blocks of coral used for much of the city. It also appeared crafted rather than assembled, as though a piece of art, but its well-maintained exterior still had some signs of age.

The corridors Lord Narvon led them through were richly decorated, with tapestries, art, and furniture Thortus had thought long lost. The occasional pieces survived in the cities, but not in this condition, not so vibrant. The corridors were well-lit, either by large windows, or by flaming braziers, burning coal in an ostentatious display he assumed must be for their benefit. Such a valuable commodity would hardly be used for lighting during the day.

"Please be seated," he waved them towards the long table, composed entirely of real wood, as he walked around to take a seat in middle of the fat side. The chairs were also wood, each at least as good as his treasured throne. "Your timing couldn't be better. We had one of the cows killed yesterday, so there's fresh beef."

Unfamiliar smells wafted from somewhere nearby, reminding Thortus how little he'd eaten since yesterday. Not that it would make him overlook his reason for coming. He took the seat opposite Narvon, Elgren taking the one next to him, and their Stoneweavers sitting to either side. "Another secret you've been keeping."

Narvon smiled. "If only I had enough of them to offer around, but there are too few. I have some here, and some in other locations. I try to move them about for breeding, but ultimately there may not be enough left, even if I could find the land. We only killed this one because she managed to break her leg."

"And the crops are similarly limited, I suppose?"

"Barely enough for my people. And the slaves. No, I'm afraid I see this more as a place to maintain these crops and animals until the waters recede enough to recover the land. If everyone knew about it, then people might insist on establishing homes here, and that, I just cannot allow."

His smile widened a touch, knowing he'd left little room for Thortus to gain any concessions. But he must know they wouldn't be leaving without something. Why close off an avenue of negotiation before exploring it? Not that he expected anything, having mainly come to scout the defences. "You truly believe the waters will ever recede?" Thortus said.

"Oh, I'm positive they will. And that's why this sanctuary exists, to preserve what it can for restoring the land."

"It's been a long time. Have your family been protecting it ever since the Flood? Why is it you still seem so sure the waters will go?"

"Come, my friend," Narvon said with, yet again, a smile. "You can't expect me to give away all my secrets." His eyes seemed to match the amusement of his smile, which only served to irritate Thortus. "But, such things can wait," he said as servants filed in a side door, further alien aromas wafting ahead of them. "First we eat."